This role will support Operations and Engineering for our 24x7 MOCVD compound semiconductor epitaxial wafer manufacturing facility. The Product Engineer will be responsible for strategic marketing activity and directly working with both internal and external customers – providing high level technical expertise for MOCVD process development and support. This position requires advanced knowledge of semiconductor lasers and devices as they relate to wafer growth, metrology, fabrication and testing. Excellent communication and organizational skills, market knowledge, proven abilities in production control, problem solving, and project management skills are required.
- Understand technical details of products – ranging from initial designs to volume production capacity and issues. In-depth MOCVD and device knowledge.
- Analyze internal and customer-fed databases to maximize product efficacy.
- Statistically track/analyze device data from customers.
- Collaborate with development and manufacturing engineering teams to determine product development and build schedules.
- Work with finance to estimate project costs including ROIs and establish product costs through detailed yielded BOMs.
- Strategic marketing.
- Support sales and engineering product managers to cultivate customer relationships and establish broad understanding of customer applications and associated product use. Provide sales with engineering support to ensure customer requests and product inquiries are adequately addressed.
- Lead improvements in reliability based on FA of devices and external data sources establishing root cause failures and appropriate corrective actions.
- Review production data with process engineering (e.g., yield, cycle time, DL hours) across entire manufacturing process to facilitate continual improvement plans.
- Collaborate with development and manufacturing on product roadmaps to meet forecasted industry demands.
- Ensure products meet cost targets, performance specifications, expected reliability, and quality goals.
- Assist in development of systems to maintain reports and record the company’s product/process data.
- Assist with the continual improvement and creation of documenting operational procedures and protocols. Establish disciplined Six Sigma (DMAIC, SPC, DOE, Gage R&R, etc.) approach to improvement and use 8 Disciplines of problem solving or equivalent tools to manage engineering activities.
- Develop and execute new test procedures including validation, documentation and training.
- Independently and collaboratively develop technical information; write application notes and product information sheets.
- Perform failure analysis of defective components either through hands-on evaluation or interaction with contract service providers.
- Manage multiple projects with multi-disciplinary indirectly reporting team members.
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) or similar discipline and 3-5 years of experience in semiconductor laser manufacturing (strong knowledge of lasers and devices).
- VCSEL device knowledge and experience preferred.
- Vendor management/pricing negotiations.
- Perform failure analysis on semiconductor devices.
- Product development and review processes.
- Recording and reporting performance metrics.
- Excellent listening and collaboration skills.
- Skilled at writing and presenting to effectively communicate concepts to both internal and external customers.
- Attention to detail and an ability to absorb and assimilate information rapidly.
- Solving complex problems.
- Highly organized with the ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment.
- Strong communication skills.
- Familiarity with a wide variety of materials and processes to best achieve the design goals and product specifications.
This job requires that an individual come into contact with raw materials, products, equipment / machines, software or technology controlled by the Export Administration Regulations or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations. The job must be filled by a U.S. person, or a person for whom a valid export control license, or exception, has been obtained or is not required from the U.S. Government.
Job Type: Full-time
- Writing Skills: 1 year (Preferred)
- Organizational Skills: 1 year (Preferred)
- Project Management: 1 year (Preferred)
- Vendor Management: 1 year (Preferred)