Aerospace Chief Engineer (Aerospace Engineer V)
Aerospace technology firm Opterus seeks Chief Engineer in Loveland CO.
Leadership opportunity in growing advanced space structures startup. Opterus is looking for a Chief Engineer with 10 years industry experience leading the development of flight mechanical and structural systems. The role requires directing and growing a team of engineers to establish processes for efficient and high-quality execution of cradle-to-grave space flight and other structures focused programs. You will oversee and be accountable for all aspects of research, design, and development as well as ensure programs and hardware meet customer, engineering, and quality requirements. Highly qualified applicants will have technical management skills in mechanical system design, structural analysis, structural testing, space flight hardware qualification, composite materials, manufacturing, and aerospace quality systems (AS9100). You will be supported by a strong and complete team of energetic and talented technicians, engineers, manufacturers, accounting, and financial leaders.
- Establish short- and long-term company research, design, testing, and engineering goals and standards.
- Development of advanced structures and mechanical systems for space deployable systems, photovoltaic arrays, radio frequency systems, booms, robotic systems, and in space assembly and manufacturing systems.
- Manage complex design, analysis, testing, qualification, and transition to production programs.
- Communicating the goals of the company to all engineers and professionals in the team.
- Supervise every phase of projects from start to completion.
- Perform quality control checks on all systems and products.
- Team hiring, training, and supervision.
- BS or higher in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering. MS or PhD preferred.
- Mastery of space flight hardware development from concept through flight and end-of-life.
- A sound understanding of engineering principles.
- 10 (5 minimum) years of directly applicable experience in spacecraft mechanical and structural systems.
- Effective digital, written, and oral communication of technical information skills.
- U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position will require the ability to access U.S. only data systems. The ability to obtain a U.S. Top Secret Security Clearance is also required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The position includes a complete benefits package with medical, dental, and vision insurance, a flexible work schedule, paid holidays, paid time off and a generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds. Life insurance and disability coverage are also included.
Opterus is an advanced structures company that is radically changing the way structures are engineered for applications in aerospace, military and even consumer goods. We are developing the next generation of space structural systems architectures, space systems, and space mission payloads. Based in Loveland, CO, the company is pioneering work in deformable structures for satellites, continuum robotics, and lightweight retractable-deployable masts, booms and hinges. Opterus pushes the frontiers of structural design with innovative tension-aligned arrays, blanket and panel solar arrays, reflectors and antennas. To learn more about Opterus products and services, visit https://www.opterusrd.com.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: Up to $200,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
All city, county, and state regulations are followed. Masks are required in the facility at all times. Maintaining safe working distances is highly encouraged. At risk or exposed employees work from home.
- Industry: 5 years (Required)
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible