The Maintenance Supervisor assists with supervising and performs the day-to-day activities of the Maintenance Department in accordance with company standards and federal, state, and local standards, guidelines, and regulations governing the life plan community to ensure that it is maintained in a clean, safe, and comfortable manner.
- Coordinates services and activities with other departments, including Culinary, Housekeeping, Laundry, Maintenance, Therapy, Activities and Social Services, to ensure the continuity of care.
- Assists in the management of the maintenance functions in all areas of the life plan community by ensuring that necessary equipment and supplies are maintained and operable to perform necessary duties and services.
- Staffs department and schedules accordingly to meet the necessary requirements for departmental needs.
- Assigns and distributes work orders and holds staff accountable to complete them within 24-48 hours.
- Monitors all preventive maintenance to ensure completion as required.
- Assists in oversight of the evaluation, troubleshooting, maintenance, and repair of technical components of the life plan community including HVAC, pumps, motors, etc.
- Assists in troubleshooting, providing maintenance, and repairing electrical systems per NEC guidelines.
- Assists in troubleshooting, providing maintenance, and repairing plumbing systems per local codes.
- Assists in maintaining all fire safety and related equipment including smoke detectors, sprinkler heads, etc.
- Assists in maintaining maintenance policies and procedures.
- Monitors wastewater treatment plant and water treatment plant, if applicable.
Quality, Compliance and Risk Management
- Ensures that the facilities and grounds are maintained in a safe manner for resident, staff member, and visitor comfort and convenience.
- Ensures that established quality assurance, infection control, and universal precaution practices are maintained when performing maintenance tasks and ensures the departmental staff does the same.
- Performs duties in accordance with all safety and OSHA requirements and ensures departmental staff does the same.
- Assists in the inspection of the facilities and equipment at least weekly for proper order and operation.
- Ensures all HVAC, electrical, and plumbing are in good working condition.
- Ensures that an inventory of supplies is maintained at all times.
- Follows up on the status of work orders and subsequent resident satisfaction.
- Implements and maintains an ongoing preventative maintenance and quality assurance program.
- Implements plans of correction for maintenance concerns and/or deficiencies noted during quality assurance and state and city survey inspections.
- Tours with local and state inspectors when required.
- Assists in the management of the security function of the life plan community, if applicable.
- Works with others on the development, implementation, and maintenance of emergency disaster programs (i.e. fire, severe weather, etc.).
- Willingly and consistently shares observations and insights of departmental operations that may improve quality and efficiencies of department.
People Management and Development
- Supervises Maintenance Department employees.
- Fosters a positive work environment that attracts, retains, and motivates employees.
- Interviews, selects, and orients new direct reports.
- Defines, establishes, and promotes performance expectations so direct reports understand and demonstrate excellence through high quality and consistent performance.
- Evaluates job performance of direct reports in accordance with the company policy and procedure and provides developmental guidance to staff for improved performance and growth.
- Monitors accountability with organization requirements prescribed by the Employee Handbook. Documents and engages employees who are routinely not observing these requirements in an effort to achieve compliance. Works with Human Resources when circumstances arise that necessitate further documentation and intervention.
- Participates in the development, planning, scheduling, conducting, and monitoring of in-service training programs, on-the-job training, and orientation programs for departmental staff.
- Ensures that there is a reasonable and sufficient plan for staffing should a direct report be absent or a direct reporting position be vacant.
- Responds timely and thoughtfully to questions, requests, and work product from departmental staff that has been provided for review and approval.
Customer Relations and Service Delivery
- Listens and responds to the needs of residents and staff members.
- Reviews and responds to maintenance complaints and grievances from residents and staff members.
- Honors resident personal and property rights when performing maintenance duties and ensures departmental staff does the same.
Administration and Reporting
- Maintains current and accurate records through use of computers and/or other documentation in accordance with company standards and federal, state, and local standards, guidelines, and regulations.
All other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Current certification to handle refrigerants a plus but not required.
- Current HVAC certification a plus but not required.
- Current Boiler Operator License and Steam Engineer License a plus but not required.
- Two years experience in maintenance operations management required.
- Experience in a long-term care facility, hospital, or other related medical facility preferred.
- Strong knowledge of HVAC, boilers, compressors and generators, and various mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems.
- Knowledge of maintenance practices, procedures, standards, guidelines, and regulations governing maintenance functions in a long-term care environment.
- Knowledge of building codes, safety, EPA, and OSHA regulations.
- Experience reading and interpreting blueprints.
- Proficiency with Windows, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and the internet.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and acceptable driving record. Must be insurable under professional liability and crime coverage policies as specified by insurance carrier underwriting standards
Job Type: Full-time