Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
The successful candidate will conceptualize, develop and support the mechanical design of novel surgical robot systems, taking individual responsibility for the successful design of specific system components. The candidate will demonstrate creativity and sound engineering in the design of kinematics, robotic actuation and sensing solutions along with the selection of engineering materials. The candidate must be able to coordinate their efforts within a team design effort, and be able to report progress and milestones relative to the overall development project. He or she must excel in a high-energy team environment and be capable of making sound decisions when faced with the time pressures and incomplete information typical of new product development.
Roles & Responsibilities:
This position has responsibility and authority for:
- Conduct detailed prototype design, test, and iteration
- Adapt and iterate on existing product and fixture designs as needed
- Validate designs using empirical and analytical methods
- Collaborate with clinical and engineering teams to determine design requirements for novel surgical robot systems
- Develop metrics, protocols and test fixtures for qualifying robot system designs
- Guide projects through the design control process (design specification, design review, risk analysis, etc.)
- Collaborate with Manufacturing Engineering in the development of pilot production lines (procurement, assembly, troubleshooting) and in design improvements through design for assembly and design for manufacturability activities.
- Assist with production difficulties involving robot system components
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position the individual must have:
- A Bachelors' Degree in mechanical engineering, or commensurate experience;
- 3 years’ experience in mechanical design, CAD drawing desired
- Understanding of all phases of the development lifecycle including design, implementation, verification, validations, and transfer
- Proficiency in SolidWorks
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.