The National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center (NBACC) is a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) federal laboratory sponsored by the DHS Science and Technology Directorate and operated by the Battelle National Biodefense Institute, LLC (BNBI).
To support genomics projects within the NBACC by developing and maintaining software tools and pipelines for efficient and reproducible analysis of bioforensic samples.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Requires a Bachelor of Science (Master’s degree preferred) in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or a relevant computational discipline with experience in bioinformatics, and a minimum of 2 years related experience.
- Fluency in multiple programming languages required for small- and large-scale tool development and scripting (e.g., Bash, Perl, Python, Java, R, C/C++).
- Expertise developing and operating in a UNIX/Linux environment.
- Familiarity with computing clusters and associated job management software (e.g., SGE, Condor, Hadoop, SLURM, etc.) preferred.
- Experience installing bioinformatics software and performing basic system administration tasks preferred.
- Familiarity with next-generation sequencing (e.g., Illumina, Pacific Biosciences, Oxford Nanopore Technologies) and associated data types preferred.
- Well-versed with bioinformatic software solutions and concepts of data examination.
- Capable of trouble-shooting research-grade software developed by third-parties.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Exemplary organizational skills with a proven track record of working effectively both independently and as a team player.
- Knowledge or experience with biocontainment facilities and procedures, laboratory safety, biosurety, and decontainment is desirable.
- Skills and experience to support laboratory activities and work in accordance with NBACC’s management system (e.g., ISO).
- Must be a citizen of the United States, able to obtain an interim secret clearance leading to a top secret clearance, suitability for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Current clearance(s) desirable.
- Participation in the Immunization Program through Corporate Occupational Health Solutions, LLC (CorpOHS) as required.
- May be required to participate in NBACC’s alternative work and/or on-call schedule, dependent upon business needs.
- Develops and maintains modular automated workflows for genomic sequence processing, assembly, annotation, metagenomic analysis, and genotyping using multiple high-throughput DNA sequencing platforms.
- Works as a member of the Bioinformatics group software development team, guides software engineering best practices, and maintains test procedures for computational pipelines.
- Researches, evaluates, and incorporates relevant algorithms and software within the arena of DNA sequencing and bioinformatics by reviewing pertinent literature.
- Works with Bioinformatics group personnel and external collaborators to determine future bioinformatics needs, and develops tools and databases as necessary to keep pace with rapid advances in sequencing technology.
- Adapts quickly to new work assignments, performs assignments outside area of expertise, demonstrates technical proficiency, and manages resources efficiently.
- Works on assignments requiring considerable judgment and initiative, while understanding the implications of work and making recommendations for solutions.
- Works on problems of diverse scope in which analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. May be technical project lead on multiple projects.
- Receives limited instruction on daily work, general instructions on newly introduced assignments, and communicates promptly with recommended solutions.
- Formulates scientific hypothesis and demonstrate technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought.
- Maintains a safe work environment by participating in specialized training and review of safety manuals and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Develops techniques and performs tests and analyses according to appropriate SOPs.
- Identifies departures from the Quality Management System (QMS) and initiates actions to investigate and prevent such occurrences.
- Operates and maintains computing systems and other equipment with minimal supervision.
- Maintains appropriate records.
- Performs other assigned duties.
BNBI is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.