The CAD Design Tech 1 is responsible for performing well-defined drafting services using CAD software for a variety of civil engineering, permitting, and survey related tasks. As a member of the CAD department this position will report directly to the Drafting Supervisor. The person in this position is expected to exercise a strong work ethic, and organizational skills. A Design Tech 1 should demonstrate proficiency with basic drafting fundamentals and be able to quickly learn and apply new drafting skills. The successful person is expected to work well with others, absorb and apply constructive criticism and seek guidance from more experienced members of the team as necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop drafting proficiency with AutoCAD and/or Microstation.
- Demonstrate proficiency with universal drafting standards and best practices
- Learn and apply company drafting standards and best practices
- Learn and apply alternative drafting standards as required by clients
- Copy sketches and layouts performed by others
- Interpret redline markups and update CAD sheets/details accordingly
- Work efficiently to meet deadlines and perform tasks within a given amount of time
- Perform other related duties as assigned
This position requires the candidate to be currently enrolled in a CAD degree program or to have an Associates’ degree in computer-aided drafting, or a related field. A minimum of 0 years of professional drafting experience is required.
- Basic level CAD proficiency using AutoCAD and/or Microstation
- Accurately copy sketches and layouts prepared by others
- Accurately interpret redline markups and update CAD sheets/details accordingly
- Good communication and time management skills
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Ability to conform to standards
- Ability to back check work to ensure quality and accuracy
- Perform well defined drafting tasks with guidance and supervision from engineers, designers and more senior CAD staff
- Follow established procedures and standards; exercise judgment with close guidance and direction from senior staff
- Accountable for successful completion of assigned tasks in the required timeframes and within the allotted budget
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
This work is typically done within an office environment with occasional field work at project/construction sites. When field assignments are required, the working conditions/physical requirements for field staff apply.
- Normal working hours will be 8 am – 5 pm, but may vary depending on project demands
- Overtime work may be required based on work deadlines
- Extended periods of sitting, standing, and walking around the office; occasional field assignment supporting engineering design functions
- Ability to move, lift, pull, and push 30 - 50 lbs.
- Prolonged physical activity involving standing, walking, bending, reaching, lifting, pulling, and swinging.
- Strong balance and agility to occasionally climb ladders and/or crawl through openings
- Some travel may be required for this position: Working out of area, out of state, or across the state may be required
DOWL is committed to being an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Persons with a Disability. Qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to protected veteran status and disability status. We do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, veteran status, disability status, or another other characteristic protected by law.