Navatek LLC, a privately-owned defense contractor with offices in Rhode Island, Washington D.C., Maine, and Hawaii, is seeking a Research Engineer to be based in Rhode Island and work on a range of exciting Department of Defense design challenges. The candidate will also have the opportunity to conceptualize solutions for problems across the Department of Defense and follow their concepts through to prototype construction. Working with our commercial prototyping facility in Honolulu, Hawaii, the candidate will have the ability to oversee construction and testing of their systems. This position is an opportunity to join a group of talented engineers growing to fill the needs of the Department of Defense.
Research engineer with 7+ years of design and analysis experience, related to mechanical or marine systems. The individual will design and develop innovative solutions, taking the systems from concept, to prototype, and through prototype fabrication. Must be able to solve technically challenging problems with a multi-disciplinary engineering approach and lead entry-level engineers in support of designs Engineering project management experience leading the design and construction of novel systems is highly desired. Strong engineering fundamentals, ability to adapt across multiple engineering disciplines, excellent communication and critical thinking skills, creative mindset, and ability to work in a team environment are necessary to be successful in this position. Occasional short-term travel required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities::
- Design and develop innovative solutions, using computer aided drafting tools, engineering analysis, and fabricating proof of concept prototypes.
- Take systems from concept, to prototype, and through production.
- Identify and investigate new science and technology.
- Solve technically challenging problems with a multi-disciplinary engineering approach.
- Project management involving oversight of engineers, and ensuring cost and schedule over the duration of the program.
- Clearly communicate mechanical concepts and ideas with engineers at variable experience levels.
- Communicate effectively with subcontractors and vendors.
- Collaborate with contracting, purchasing, and compliance teams.
- Support the writing and review of contract proposals to lend engineering accuracy to concept designs.
- Report writing and presentations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Strong engineering fundamentals.
Proficiency with drafting of parts and assemblies.
Familiarity with hydrodynamics and Naval Architecture. Ability to perform hydrostatics analyses.
- Experience in working department of defense projects preferred.
- Experience in generating drawings packages.
- Knowledge of machine design, structures, and hydrodynamics.
Proficiency with surface and solid modeling CAD software preferred.
Hands on hardware experience performing fabrication, assembly and testing preferred.
Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, while working strongly with others in a team.
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Naval Architecture, or equivalent from an accredited college or university; OR
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Naval Architecture, or equivalent from an accredited college or university and 7+ years of experience in Engineering position.
- Supervisory experience.
This position will be located in South Kingstown, Rhode Island. Employment is contingent upon successfully passing an employee background check and post-offer drug screen.