This role will require an analytical and business-oriented mindset with the ability to implement rigorous database solutions and best practices in order to produce and influence the adoption of strong quality data insights to drive business decisions in all areas of GitLab. Data Engineers are essentially software engineers who have a particular focus on data movement and orchestration.
- Maintain our data warehouse with timely and quality data
- Build and maintain data pipelines from internal databases and SaaS applications
- Create and maintain architecture and systems documentation
- Implement the DataOps philosophy in everything you do
- Plan and execute system expansion as needed to support the company's growth and analytic needs
- Collaborate with Data Analysts to drive efficiencies for their work
- Collaborate with other functions to ensure data needs are addressed
- This position reports to the Manager, Data
- 2+ years hands-on experience in a data analytics or data warehousing role
- Demonstrably deep understanding of SQL and analytical data warehouses (Snowflake preferred)
- Experience with a high growth company using on-premise tools and on-demand (SaaS) transactional systems
- Hands-on experience with Python, SQL, and ETL tools like Talend/Kettle, Boomi, Informatica Cloud, etc. Experience with Snowflake is a plus
- Hands-on experience with data pipeline tools within cloud-based environments (Airflow, Luigi, Azkaban, dbt)
- Be Passionate about data, analytics, and automation.
- Experience with open source data warehouse tools
- Strong data modeling skills and familiarity with the Kimball methodology.
- Experience with Salesforce, Zuora, Zendesk and Marketo as data sources and consuming data from SaaS application APIs.
- Share and work in accordance with our values
- Constantly improve product quality, security, and performance
- Write good code, performant code (Python preferred)
- Knowledge of and experience with data-related Python packages
- Desire to continually keep up with advancements in data engineering practices
- Catch bugs and style issues in code reviews
- Ship small features independently
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. ( https://about.gitlab.com/job-families/finance/data-engineer/ ) The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page ( https://about.gitlab.com/handbook/hiring/interviewing/ ).