A Buyer performs purchasing duties of varying scope and authority. The position is responsible for providing customer service to internal customer and external suppliers by placing purchase orders, maintaining past due reports, following up on orders to ensure materials are delivered on promised dates, request and receive quotes and make purchases of commodities or goods where the financial impact or decision making is limited. The Buyer may work directly in support of the production line operations and/or in collaboration with department managers, engineers or operations staff procuring product. Material, commodities, and/or equipment purchases are processed, consumed or used in the manufacture or service of heavy equipment.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Process purchase requisitions or orders within purchasing authority. Daily use of problem-solving, negotiations, and influence abilities to successfully expedite the purchase and delivery of crucial materials needed faster than the normal lead time for a variety of reasons, including bill of material errors, supplier lag in shipments, engineering late releases, etc.
2. Coordinates with Quality Assurance Department the disposition of defective or unacceptable goods or services to determine source of trouble and take corrective action to prevent re-occurrences. Working with suppliers returning material for credit or replacements.
3. Monitor or expedite shipments to ensure that products come in on time and in good condition. In the event of problems, trace shipment and follow up on undelivered goods.
4. Projects a positive company image by interacting with fellow employees, customer and management in a cooperative, supportive and courteous manner, and displays a professional attitude.
5. Responsible for procurement and purchasing activities on assigned categories and/or vendors.
6. Proactively communicate with Manufacturing, Engineering and other departments.
7. Plans all orders and delivery schedules to accommodate production changes and match J.I.T. requirements of production schedule.
8. Distributes updated drawing to suppliers, as needed to complete orders.
9. Maintaining and reviewing inventory records and handling the return of slow-moving and idle materials with suppliers.
10. Through daily purchasing activity and conversations with suppliers, continuously provide Purchasing Manager with price/cost trends (price increases and decreases) in the areas of responsibility.
11. Executes internal Sarbanes-Oxley control responsibilities with diligence and integrity. These internal control responsibilities are communicated to the person(s) in this position, and periodic feedback is provided as it relates to performance of internal control responsibilities.
1. Procurement Function
a. Knowledge of practices and procedures for procurement of materials, components, equipment and services.
2. Supply Chain Management in Manufacturing
a. Knowledge of strategies and tools for controlling and optimizing the factors that lie between the purchase of raw materials or product components.
3. Supplier Management
a. Ability to effectively manage the business relationship and transactions with the suppliers of raw materials or product components. Good Reasoning abilities and negotiation skills. Travel by air or land to visit suppliers, manufacturers, etc.
4. Inventory Management
a. Knowledge of issues and considerations for effectively managing local or distributed inventories of raw materials, work in progress and finished goods.
5. Manufacturing Operations
a. Knowledge of the day-to-day operations of a manufacturing plant or facility.
1. Bachelor's degree in a business related field, or 2-3 years purchasing or related experience.
2. Experience with computers: Specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and ERP, inventory, ordering and tracking systems.
1. Travel by air or land to visit suppliers, manufacturers, etc.
2. Perform work in a manufacturing environment with exposure to industrial noise, fumes, smoke, etc.
3. Ability to operate computer and general office equipment. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, including Word and Excel preferable.
4. Ability to work well with others, as a member of a team, and demonstrate good oral and written communication skills.
5. Ability to coach others in order to expand their abilities and increase their performance.
6. Good reasoning abilities and negotiation skills
1. Basic understanding of supply chain management in a manufacturing environment.
2. Ability to understand blueprints and/or other printed instructional materials preferred.
3. Communication Skills: Must be able to demonstrate skill I communicating with vendors and supervisors. Must express criticisms' and concerns in a way that promotes teamwork and positive supplier relations.
4. Maintain positive, constructive cooperative working relationships by working, acting and communicating with various personalities getting along with customers, suppliers, co-workers and management working both individually and as part of a team.
5. Continue to grow lean knowledge and use the tools to identify and assist with continuous process improvement.
6. Skill in working efficiently and accurately to keep up with production requirements.
7. Detail oriented, flexible and adaptable in coping with pressures, deadlines and rapidly changing situations, ability to work independently.
1. Proficient in promoting safe and healthy work environment.
2. Notifies supervisor of product discrepancies or equipment malfunctions.
3. Adheres to established company policies and procedures paying special attention to safety regulations.
4. Report defective materials, equipment, or questionable conditions to the supervisor/manager to identify and correct the root cause.
5. Wears personal protective equipment in accordance with training guidelines.
6. Separates scrap or waste materials for recycling, reuse, or environmentally sound disposal.
7. Maintain cleanliness in designated workspace by practicing 5S principles to reduce safety risks.
Equal Opportunity Statement
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, ASTEC. does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, marital status, disability status, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, age, prior industrial injury, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected status under local, state or federal law.
This description is intended as a guide only. The listed duties may be changed at the discretion of the incumbent’s supervisor.
There is no specified term connected with your employment. Employment is at-will and termination by either party is also at-will. An offer should not be construed as a guarantee of employment for any specific duration. In addition, your duties and/or compensation may change from time to time based on the needs of ASTEC and your skills as determined by ASTEC.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $21.00 - $23.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Frequent Handwashing, wearing face masks, social distancing.
- Microsoft Excel: 1 year (Preferred)
- Purchasing: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location