TAPCO Family owned, Wisconsin based!
Manufacturing Engineer (New Opportunity!)
At TAPCO, our mission is to enhance transportation and personal safety in our communities through innovative solutions and products. We are driven to save lives! Are you looking for a career where you can earn a great wage based on experience and performance, your contributions are recognized, and you will have growth potential? Then choose TAPCO!
TAPCO is proud to offer the following:
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Safe Harbor 401K Retirement Savings with Employer Match
- Paid Holidays, Vacation and Personal Time Off
- Wellness Plan
- Life Insurance
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Gain Sharing Bonus Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
Nature of Work
The Manufacturing Engineer will be an authority and strong advocate for Lean and continuous improvement within all operations activities at TAPCO. The Manufacturing Engineer will creatively develop production and engineering policies, practices and procedures to improve safety, quality and efficiency in a low volume, high mix of intelligent traffic control devices and supporting products. With a sense of urgency, this person plays a key role in ensuring projects meet business, schedule and budget objectives. This position is interdisciplinary and will be involved in various sciences including math, physics and physiology. This position reports to the Manufacturing Engineering Manager and actively communicates with multiple disciplines inside and outside of TAPCO and departments within TAPCO frequently. All team members actively engage in healthy dialogue which results in the relentless pursuit of improvement. All members of the TAPCO team put safety first, care about those surrounding them, and aren't fearful of learning from their mistakes.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties listed below may vary in terms of importance and other duties may be added or eliminated as this position develops.
- Conduct economic analysis on new methods and equipment.
- Investigate, recommend and implement technological solutions to keep employees from harm.
- Define, propose and implement capital equipment for process improvement.
- Recommend, develop, and implement facility changes to improve material flow, floor space utilization, quality, and cost of existing products.
- Provides key inputs for DFX (Design for Manufacture, Design for Cost) during and after the product development process.
- Train and mentor team members in project methods and participation.
- Lead manufacturing projects for verification and validation of new product introductions, manufacturing processes and equipment, and supplier qualifications for value added work.
- Maximize product quality and minimize product liability exposure by utilizing manufacturing technologies and quality control methods such as poke-yoke and mistake-proofing.
- Participate in failure analysis teams and contribute to resulting solutions.
- Implement change and audit the results for projects or improvements.
- Assists in maintaining a tour ready facility.
- Establish and meet schedules for the introduction of new methods, new products or cost reductions.
- Provides engineering support, recommendations and reports to staff and management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Auto CAD 2D
- Possess broad knowledge in a mechanical and electrical disciplines
- Microsoft office suite; including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Ability to manage stress in a high paced environment
- Ability to solve complex problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations
- Advanced project management skills in a highly active environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills working with coworkers and management in a team environment
- 5S and lean concepts
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering and/or commensurate experience.
- Preference will be given to candidate with at least 5 years of relevant industry experience.
- Lean Process design and Demand Flow Technology experience are desired as well as using the 5S philosophy for improvement in the workplace.
- Ability to engage others in forward thinking dialog, facilitate consensus, obtain buy-in of senior leadership and drive for successful adoption of change initiatives.
- Thorough understanding of engineering theory and principles of machine design, especially ergonomic and safety aspects
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills working with coworkers and management.
- Able to lift 50 lbs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is sitting using a computer and walking/standing in a warehouse setting. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, and crouch; use hands to handle objects, tools, or controls; and to reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is working in an office, manufacturing and/or warehouse environments. The position regularly works near moving mechanical machinery and material handling operations in the production areas. The office environment is fast paced and often stressful. This position is occasionally exposed to humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, and risk of electric shock. The use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, safety toed shoes, protective gloves and hearing protection may be required depending on the area of the warehouse. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. Work hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 - 5:00; however, at times the workload may not require full time or may require overtime Monday through Saturday. Some flexibility of scheduling may be necessary in order to accommodate customer's needs.
If any assistance is needed with the application process please contact TAPCO HR at 800-236-4462
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities