We build cities. We drive commerce. We help save lives. For over 100 years, Allison Transmission has powered the vehicles and technology that move our world forward.
What powers us? Our employees. From the first person hired by James Allison in 1915 to the thousands across the globe who work for Allison today, we're driving progress everywhere because we employ top talent worldwide.
This is an excellent opportunity in Indianapolis, Indiana for a Project Engineer with the On-Highway Powertrain Engineering group.
Are you the right person to fill this important role on our team? Learn more about this role and how you can begin driving your career forward .
As the Project Engineer , you will be a key member of mechanical design group for heavy-duty automatic transmissions. You will also provided critical support for variant and new feature capabilities of Allison Transmission's existing products.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- This role incorporates all the functions required for product design responsibility for transmission hardware components in the cross section for conventional product cross sections
- Initiate, verify and approve requests for new component drawings and features, including limit stack analysis, design analysis via spreadsheet and established analytical tools, failure mode analysis, etc.
- Work with Advanced Analysis group for generation of finite element analysis, for example, as required by providing product loading conditions, product operating conditions and correct interpretation of software output.
- Determine appropriate DVP&R level to validate the product per each individual opportunity scenario and execute to completion by initiating Test Requests, supporting data review, interpretation and thorough review of Test Reports.
- Support Test Engineering by providing appropriate pre-test and post-test measurement list, required parameters for data collection, analyzing data and assessing hardware at end of test to determine pass or fail.
- Support DFMEA activity and assessment to Best Practices to guide product design, as required per product change: including either generation of new or modification of existing
- Provide production engineering support for the assembly plant: including test stand and product issues and assessment of part deviation impact to the product function, durability and reliability.
- Provide Product Engineering support to Product Line Team initiatives such as component resourcing, supplier requests, cost reduction and product continuous improvement: support includes providing impact to product design, durability and validation requirements.
- Participate in Incident review team, current product improvement team and warranty reduction initiatives by applying problem solving methodologies in the analytical and test environment, analyzing field data and field return hardware to resolve root cause of failure.
- Work with suppliers, Purchasing and Supplier Quality Engineers to support cost reductions, sourcing, design changes, etc.
- Continuously build effective knowledge of various product design subsystems: including structures, hydraulics, shift elements, gears and shafts.
- Support Growth Initiative for new products or new product features by supporting product design activity: including limit stack analysis, design analysis via spreadsheet and established analytical tools, failure mode analysis, etc.
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
Master's in Mechanical Engineering
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
- 3+ years of engineering experience in a related field
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong analytical ability
- Ability to read drawings, blueprints & proficient with 3D solid modeling
- Limit stacking, GD&T knowledge & experience
- Six-Sigma certification
- CAD experience / Unigraphics
- 3-5 years of product design and development experience, transmission design a plus
Allison Transmission is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, religion, creed, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status.
Employment with Allison Transmission, Inc. is voluntary and is subject to termination by the employee or Allison Transmission, Inc. at will, with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time. Allison Transmission, Inc. is voluntary and is subject to termination by the employee or Allison Transmission, Inc. at will, with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time. If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran requiring assistance and/or reasonable accommodations reviewing any of our career information, please contact us at 317-242-5000.
Are you the person we have been searching for? If so, apply today!