The Orvis Company is seeking a Materials Developer to join our Apparel Design and Development team. This position will lead the sourcing, development, testing, commercialization, and sustainability efforts for all apparel-related materials. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in material development and innovation. They should be self-managed, highly organized and deadline-driven with strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively across the Product Design and Development, Sourcing and Sustainability Teams to accomplish goals.
- Drive materials innovation and performance
- Manage the development of seasonal materials with a focus on sustainability, performance, quality, cost and MOQs
- Manage Raw Materials Supplier relationships
- Create and maintain Materials Database
- Create and maintain Materials Testing Standards and Quality Assurance SOP
- Partner with Designers and Developers to support product performance and needs
- Collaborate with VP of Sustainability, set material sustainability targets and roadmaps
- Data entry to support product information systems
This position reports to the Sourcing Manager. It is an individual contributor role and does not involve supervision of other Associates.
The position will also interface with Product Design and Development, Technical Design, Sourcing, Merchandising, Merchandise Planning, Quality Assurance, and vendors.
This position will be based out of the corporate office in Sunderland, Vermont. Remote candidates will be considered – it is our expectation that person be able to travel to the Sunderland office on a seasonal basis.
Skill-set/ Qualifications Desired:
- BS in Textiles, Textile Engineering, Textile Design is preferred
- 5+ years’ experience Materials Development in the apparel industry
- Have a global network of mills and suppliers
- Understanding of ASTM and AATCC testing standards
- Deep knowledge of fibers, yarns, constructions, dyeing and finishing of materials
- Highly organized and able to juggle multiple deadlines and tasks
- Deadline and calendar driven mindset, with the ability to anticipate, communicate and collaborate with teams to meet deadlines
- Strong negotiation skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, as required
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite and Smartsheet
- Familiarity and passion for the Orvis product line and outdoor recreation culture and lifestyle