Senior Server Programmer
Mutant Arm Studios is an up-and-coming independent developer, based along the beautiful Cascade mountain range, in Bend, Oregon. We are a fun-sized group of highly skilled developers, led by an industry proven AAA team, working with one of the industry’s most prominent publishing partners.
At Mutant Arm Studios, one of the core pillars of our company is to hire team members who are game developers FIRST, and specialists second. Our goal is to build and maintain a focused group of game-makers, who are looking to approach game development in a creative and holistic way, and truly connect with players.
We’ve done it all before, and our mission now is simple: “Let’s make some seriously cool games, with some seriously cool people.”
THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY OR MID-LEVEL POSITION.
The Senior Server Programmer plays a very important role on the Mutant Arm team. We are building an online multiplayer experience and this role will be responsible for working with the CTO to architect and implement backend networking, persistence, and data management, as well as integration into our publisher’s backend platform. All the while playing the game and providing their feedback as a gamer to help us build an incredible experience for our players.
Skills and qualifications:
- A passion for making and playing online games
- Strong knowledge, experience, and ability to write robust C++ code
- Strong understanding of monolithic and distributed backend server architectures and the pros and cons of both
- Experience writing systems that work in an asynchronous/latent environment
- Experience developing for both Windows and Linux server environments
- High comfort level analyzing, debugging, improving, and extending an established codebase
- Experience instrumenting and analyzing performance & networking metrics, and optimizing accordingly
- B.S. in computer science and 5+ years relevant professional experience or equivalent
Desired skills of an exceptional candidate:
- Experience using UE4 to build a multiplayer game
- Experience working with hybrid and public cloud APIs/tech
- Experience working with relational databases or other types of data storage for persisting and retrieving customer data
- Experience efficiently collecting, collating, and surfacing product KPIs
- Experience building transactional backend systems for tracking and handling real time purchases
- Understanding and interest in security and scalability issues
- Low-level network knowledge and diagnosis (e.g. packet capture/analysis, routing, firewalls,DHCP, DNS, NAT issues/considerations)
Job Type: Full-time
- Game Development: 5 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off