ABOUT THE POSITION:
At Vermont Gas Systems (VGS), we ensure the safe and reliable delivery of natural gas and other energy services to over 55,000 Vermonters in Chittenden, Franklin, and Addison counties. We promote a positive work environment that values individual and team growth.
The Distribution Engineer plays a key role in ensuring the safety of our system. Their primary focus is the development and implementation of distribution pipeline integrity management, operations, and maintenance. Responsibilities also include general engineering support for the VGS Operations Departments.
WHAT ARE THE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS POSITION?
- Develop, maintain, and update the Distribution Integrity Management Plan and documentation. Participate in audits related to Integrity Management. Determine and implement any corrective actions to be taken.
- Collect and analyze distribution pipeline attribute data as required for integrity assessment and risk assessment. Make recommendations for any changes or improvements to construction and operations processes.
- Support the design and implementation of major distribution pipeline maintenance activities and integrity assessment projects. Formulate RFPs, cost estimates and develop proposals to source and conduct all related engineering work. Evaluate and reconcile all cost related variances.
- Maintain and review engineering records, pipeline as-built drawings and pipeline attribute database for distribution pipeline maintenance.
- Support the development and maintenance of DIMP related GIS data. Assist with continual improvements to the datasets, along with overseeing field data collection.
- Assist with updates to VGS Operations manuals including writing procedures and reviewing existing procedures for compliance with DOT and State of Vermont Regulations.
- Assist with maintaining distribution corrosion control/cathodic protection systems; take CP readings and troubleshoot anomalies. Assist in performing duties of Corrosion Technician.
- Work with state regulators on DIMP related items and lead recurring audits.
- Act as back up for the Gas Engineer and Operations Engineer.
- Provide technical support for the Operations Department and keep current with new products, regulations, and procedures.
- Other duties as may be required or assigned.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIRED SKILLS FOR THIS ROLE?
Fully Competent Level - in addition to the above competencies
Technical Knowledge: Understanding of gas engineering principles. Proficient with Excel, Word, Access, and familiar with GIS and Gas Modeling software. Knowledge of applicable Federal and State regulations. Knowledge of industry codes and standards. Knowledge of natural gas construction and maintenance techniques, material, and procedures. Excellent writing skills and ability to read and understand technical materials and codes. Knowledge of natural gas safety.
Problem Solving: Ability to solve complex engineering and mathematical problems independently. Ability to develop construction plans, procedures cost estimates and schedules. Ability to manage, analyze, and report on complex datasets. Ability to coach and assign work to engineering interns.
Interpersonal Skills: Ability to work effectively with various internal and external customers. Ability to monitor performance of contractor construction crews.
Organizational Skills: Ability to organize, prioritize, manage, and oversee multiple complex projects independently.
Accountability: Employees at the fully competent level in this position are:
· Responsible for maintaining distribution pipeline records.
· Responsible for implementing Distribution Pipeline Integrity activities.
· Responsible for maintaining Distribution Integrity Management documentation.
· Maintain an understanding of the distribution pipeline CP systems.
· Must ensure safety and regulatory standards are met.
· Must be willing to travel to attend seminars and conferences.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering, or related technical field.
- Experience in natural gas compliance or related field preferred.
- Licensed Professional Engineer preferred.
- Strong PC software skills.
- Technical writing skills.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Position is Safety Sensitive and subject to appropriate drug and alcohol testing as prescribed by the Federal Register 49 CFR-Section 199.
- During the summer months will continuously walk/stand. During the winter months will continuously sit. Frequently works on computer.
- Frequently required to drive, use both hands for simple grasping, and work outdoors with occasional exposure to weather conditions.
- Occasionally lift between 10-50 lbs.; push; pull; bend; stoop; and squat.
- Exposure to dust, fumes, gases, chemicals, etc.; walking on uneven ground and subject to hazards.
- Must be willing to travel occasionally.
Diversity & Inclusion Statement
We are committed to building a work community that is inclusive and represents a vibrant diversity of background, experience, perspective, and thought. Candidates across all markers of identity (age, race, gender, ability, communication style, etc.) are highly encouraged to apply.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $68,954.25 - $86,189.63 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Work Location: One location