Voice Engineer is responsible for projects and tasks related to the voice switch network, hosted PBX platform and voice application systems. This position includes responsibility for design, and planning for maintenance, improvements, capacity and upgrades for the relevant systems. The Voice Engineer is responsible for executing projects to augment and enhance the network or voice systems. Travel to OTELCO properties in Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Vermont, and West Virginia is required.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for tasks related to evolving the voice network to VOIP and consolidating switching platforms
- Plans, designs, and coordinates augments and rearrangements to the existing voice switch infrastructure, including TDM, SIP, Hosted PBX and periphery systems such as voicemail
- Responsible for maintaining spares inventory, network redundancy and sufficient capacity for voice switching infrastructure
- Provide technical assistance and support to other teams for major systems improvements
- Mentor coworkers in new technology
- Maintains drawings and documentation concerning all MACD activities for the voice network
- Define technical requirements concerning the voice infrastructure
- May assist with numbering inventory and reporting, NPA/NXX updates.
- May work with IXCs to interconnect with network.
- May assist with complex translations (HPNA, NXX, COS, Prefix, address, orig tables, AMA, LNP, etc.)
- Perform analysis utilizing CDR and call accounting systems
- Knowledge of SIP Signaling and Call Flows
- Knowledge of HPBX platforms
- Responsible for performing central office installation and repair work.
- Manage customer issues by setting expectations and meeting/exceeding those expectations to achieve the highest level of customer satisfaction
- Participate in an on call rotation
- Must be able to work over-time and off shift hours.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of rural and competitive telephone operations and subscriber services preferred.
- Expertise in IP voice systems and SIP preferred
- Experience with equal-access and pre-subscription process.
- Experience with complex translations
- Experience with Broadsoft and Metaswitch preferred
- Knowledge of industry standards and best common procedures
- Knowledge of company products and services.
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of general office procedures.
- Skill in operating various office equipment such as personal computer, copier, fax, two-way radio and telephone systems.
- Problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to communicate with customers, co-workers, and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to work with numbers and calculations and create budgets and forecasts.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and schedules.
- Ability to effectively function as a team player.
- Ability to work nights and weekends when required
- Travel throughout the northeast frequently required
- Occasional travel beyond the northeast required
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
Education and Experience:
Education: 2 or 4 year technical degree preferred, high school diploma required.
Experience: Minimum of five years of relevant technical experience.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $65,000.00 - $78,000.00 per year
- data and voice network: 4 years (Required)
- Network Engineer: 3 years (Preferred)
- network, IP, remote access, network security design: 4 years (Preferred)
- IP voice systems and SIP: 4 years (Required)
- design, plan, install of Carrier Ethernet technologies: 4 years (Required)
- central office installation and repair work: 4 years (Preferred)
- DWDM, OTN, and Carrier Ethernet technologies: 4 years (Required)
- Switching: 4 years (Preferred)
- Bangor, ME 04401 (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- A job for which people with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible