Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service consulting and engineering firm serving the infrastructure and engineering markets. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Industrial Design Group, which includes process, electrical, controls, structural, architectural, geotechnical, and civil disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on EPC and design-build delivery of industrial projects in markets such as Food & Beverage, Consumer Products, Heavy Manufacturing, Industrial Buildings Industrial Water and Utilities. We have specialized expertise in plant floor process design, packaging, refrigerated/frozen facility design, and ammonia refrigeration systems.
We are a high performing team of engineers and designers that develop projects through the project life-cycle engaging exciting projects throughout North America. Our staff leads the industrial markets engineering process and collaborates with Kiewit’s construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see and do more than you may have thought possible. Kiewit’s culture encourages training, spending 6x the industry average on developing your skills, and tailoring your experience, to allow you to take on projects that impact millions of people across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building 401k plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success
Kiewit Industrial Engineering (K-IND) division is seeking an Mid-Level Structural Design Engineer in the Lenexa, Kansas office. Looking for ideal candidates to grow the K-IND team by helping establish, maintain, and improve standards and tools, and mentoring young engineers while contributing to project success. Candidates will have a minimum of 3-10 years of experience in engineering, using current drawing and technical tools/programs/software with an understanding and experience in design documentation creation/layout, and be comfortable working on multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining a growth mindset continuing to develop in your technical and professional career.
- Mentor and direct the work of entry and mid-level employees for skills development. Reviews their progress and results. Provides direction and coaching, as needed.
- Prepare designs for structures including research, system selection, analysis, and drawing preparation on projects ranging from moderate to large in size and complexity.
- Apply department and industry standards to oversee the preparation of calculations, project drawings, and project specifications.
- Leverages Building Information Modeling (BIM) to create plans, drawings, and details.
- Incorporate the requirements of the Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) contract, customer Requests for Proposals (RFPs), professional service agreements, or other contractual requirements ensuring the projects meet or exceed project goals.
- Coordinate with internal and external partners including cross-discipline, construction, vendors, fabricator(s), and owners to address structural-related issues or concerns.
- Recommend changes for standards or process improvements, as needed.
- Prepare, monitor, and update project plans, schedules, and budgets (including staffing needs) to project management and department management.
- Support department managers in setting and achieving performance goals for the department.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering in a civil or architectural engineering program from an ABET accredited four-year college or university program. Some masters’ coursework preferred
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- At least three-ten years’ experience in structural engineering and design. A minimum of three years in the industrial markets, preferred
- Displays leadership and confidence to mentor peers
- Must be able to communicate effectively and constructively with other team members and disciplines both verbally and written form
- Functional in utilizing spreadsheets, databases, word processing, and computer operations
- Knowledgeable and experience in engineering software: CSi SAP2000 and SAFE preferred, RISA 3D and RISA Foundation, and Mathcad.
- Knowledge and experience with BIM software: Revit preferred, AutoCAD, and Navisworks.
- Must be able to represent Kiewit Industrial Engineering in a professional manner to owners, contractors, vendors, and any other contacts outside Kiewit organization
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
- Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
- Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
- 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
- Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
- We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.