North America, USA, Kansas, Kansas City
Smiths is always looking for curious minds. For new colleagues who want responsibility and relish a challenge. Those who would like to use their talents to help make the world safer, healthier, more efficient and more connected. We're proud that we've been helping propel the human world forwards during our 160 year history of innovation. By looking at things differently. By adapting and never standing still. And by always thinking big. Today we're an aligned global business of five divisions and around 22,000 colleagues, that touches the lives of millions every year across five vibrant global markets. As one of the five divisions of Smiths Group, Smiths Interconnect employs over 1800 people. We have a global presence selling our products in over 50 countries with manufacturing facilities in nine countries and offices across North America, Europe and Asia.
These are exciting times to join Smiths Interconnect as we continue growing and delivering innovative solutions to the world. Our values inspire our employees to bring their very best selves to their jobs which creates a thrilling work environment.
We are proactively delivering advanced technologies and if you look closer you will notice us in your everyday life. We have a range of exciting opportunities at Smiths, so follow the link to learn more and apply. We would love to get to know you better and share more about why Smiths is a great place to work. Want to know more about us? Check us out at: https://www.smithsinterconnect.com/
So whether you're an experienced professional or just starting out on your career, our global scale and focus on growth means great career opportunities for the right colleagues. There's never been a better time to join Smiths. And help us create the future.
Design innovative interconnect technology solutions consistent with the business strategy and processes.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops technology and process know-how to ensure designs are technologically competitive.
- Create detailed cable, connector, and contact designs with 3D CAD system.
- Lead/support group design reviews using calculations, experimental results or other verification methods.
- Interpret customer specifications and translate them into design and/or manufacturing requirements.
- Coordinate the construction of functional and non-functional prototypes with internal and external vendors
- Provide technical support to organizational stakeholders (Production, Quality, Marketing and Sales).
- Consult with Sales and Marketing in quoting customer requirements and bid preparation.
- Participate and contribute to team training, development, mentoring and audits.
- Demonstrate behaviors consistent with company policies.
Bachelor's Degree required; mechanical or similar discipline preferred
Five or more years of mechanical design experience
Able to work and set priorities independently with minimal assistance.
Solidworks 3D modeling, drawing and simulation packages.
Understanding of GD&T, ANSI/ASME standards.
Knowledge of plastics, stampings, platings, cable and terminations is desirable
Familiar with contact technologies and contact physics theory.
Familiarity with ISO 13485, ISO9001, AS9100 and ISO14971 would be desirable
Familiarity with Project Management tools, techniques, processes and methods
Ability to perform Root Cause Analysis utilizing standard problem solving tools and methodologies.
Hands-on prototype development experience and rapid prototyping
FMEA risk analysis tools
Tolerance analysis tools
Sealing for IPXX
EMI and RF shielding is a plus
Knowledge or work experience in the Medical field would be highly desirable