Location: Red Dog, AK, US
Reporting to the Mine Superintendent, the Chief Geologist will provide supervision of the production geology staff and coordinate the efforts of his/her team with mine operations and engineering. Responsibilities include coaching and mentoring team members, supporting day-to-day operations, grade forecasting; developing the block models used to calculate reserves and resources, supporting year-end reserves reporting, designing and managing of infill drill programs, and overseeing a variety of projects.
Rotation Schedule will be 2 weeks on-site with 2 weeks off-site
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Protect the safety and health of employees by promoting safe working procedures and health programs in accordance with Teck Alaska policy and appropriate regulations.
- Ensure geology staff are properly trained in all applicable SOPs and ensure these standards are maintained through field job observations.
- Ensure that daily and weekly mine production targets are met.
- Ensure geology team provides ore stockpile plans in line with the weekly, monthly and yearly mine production goals.
- Oversee mine geology projects to ensure the quality and quantity of work being performed meets the operation’s needs.
- Maintain communication with mine engineering and metallurgy to ensure that all relevant parameters are included in the block model.
- Maintain cost control by developing and managing the geology budget. This includes reviewing and monitoring department and drill program costs.
- Initiate and direct special projects, as required.
- Manage the geology team’s technical training and development needs with particular emphasis on the digital transformation associated with RACE21. Provide recommendations for advancements and develop plans to address competency gaps.
- Communicate effectively with operating, geology, technical groups and liaise with outside agencies to meet the operation’s overall objectives.
- Contribute to cost control by participating in annual budget preparation, monitoring and reconciliation.
- Ensure that all geology services provided comply with environmental regulations and programs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor Degree (Geology, Geological Engineering or related), or equivalent combination of education and experience in lieu of a degree.
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in open pit or a closely related field with prior experience coordinating and supervising a geology team. Depending on experience the candidate may qualify for Chief designation.
- Professional Geologist designation as defined by Qualified Person from Canadian National Instrument 43-101 requirements or ability to obtain certification within 6 months.
- Experience with MineSight Planning Software is an asset.
- Experience with Vulcan mine software and block modeling modules
- Strong technical background including experience with block modeling, resource estimation, geologic mapping and ore control.
- Experience with budgeting processes.
- Excellent computer skills, particularly spreadsheet, word processing and presentation applications.
- Superior interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
Successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against infection by COVID-19, subject to an exemption approved by Teck Alaska.
Red Dog is a drug/alcohol free work place and provides competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits program. Employment is conditional upon passing a background check, physical examination and drug/alcohol tests. Excellent benefits including: medical, dental, life, AD&D and long term disability insurance, paid sick leave, vacation days and 401k. Red Dog currently offers a 2x2 (two weeks on & two week off) an even schedule to provide a better work-life balance to our employees.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc, as well as investments in energy assets. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2019, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the tenth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Segment: Materials Science, Metallurgy, Medical, Engineer, Geology, Science, Healthcare, Engineering
Job Type: Full-time