CONSTRUCTION PROJECT MANAGER
The Project Manager is responsible for leading all aspects and phases of a project from conceptual design to final completion, ensuring adherence to plans, specifications and industrial standards. The Project Manager shall oversee the total construction effort of their projects to ensure they are safely constructed in accordance with design, within budget, and required delivery dates. This role requires advanced communications with internal departments, external customers, design professionals, city officials, subcontractors and suppliers.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as an illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Provides leadership throughout a project to ensure timely quality result. This includes estimate review, level I budgets, start-up, regular interim and close-out meetings.
- Builds and maintains the project schedule, identifies and resolves problems along the critical path.
- Coordinates project activities with field superintendents to ensure that all milestones are met and job continuity is maintained.
- Collaborates with the construction and leasing team on processes.
- Manages submittals, introductory letters, subcontractor approvals, and lump sum breakdowns.
- Reviews project plans for construct-ability and cost feasibility; assists with project risk assessments and prepare scope of work matrices.
- Creates, formalizes and maintains the construction budget; accurately tracks all budget changes, prepares budget reconciliations; analyzes and manages project progress, costs and cash flows; develops cost controls and tracks project costs.
- Provides exceptional customer service; develops and fosters longstanding relationships with customers, architects, engineers and subcontractors.
- Identifies potential subcontractors and vendors.
- Requests bids, handles prequalification notices and submits bids for review and approval.
- Negotiates change orders, inputs and manages project budget, and ensures that required documentation is filed;
- Initiates project startup, closeouts and maintains project files.
- Attend final punch list inspection and/or closeout meeting and completes final documents.
- Manages and oversees completion of final closeout of project including warranty manual for construction and maintenance.
- Participates in weekly construction department meetings.
- Complies with all safety procedures and policies of the company; must understand and adhere to OSHA requirements in the construction industry.
- Prepares and presents monthly project reports utilizing photographs, observation reports, schedules, and job cost reports.
- Attends staff meetings, workshops, seminars, and assigned training.
- Trains workers in construction methods, operation of equipment, safety procedures and company policies; ensures company and safety rules are followed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Director or executive leadership.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Ensures the project is in compliance with company policies and state and federal employment regulations.
- Schedules and facilitates regular client meetings during the course of the project.
- Determines tenant expectations and sets direction of tenant value drivers with site team.
- Measures the success of meeting the tenant’s expectations and value drivers during the course of the project and at project closeout.
- Work closely with leasing and site teams to ensure construction activities support tenant requirements, project schedule, safety, quality and budget.
- Ensures the field team utilizes professional demeanor while interfacing with vendors, subcontractors, landowners and other community members.
- Holds primary financial responsibility for the project budget and work codes.
- Oversees and ensures that approved subcontracts, purchase orders, certificates of insurance, service agreements and other documents are created and distributed on time to meet lease delivery dates and CPM schedule.
- Verifies and is held accountable for ensuring subcontractors have not started work on a project site until all subcontract agreements have been executed.
- During construction, the Project Manager will regularly review the project costs against the budget; and through the cost-to-complete process accurately forecasts project costs, revenues, profits, change orders and billings to the conclusion of the project.
- Monitors the receivables of the project to ensure a positive cash flow.
- Ensures the site management team is accurately monitoring costs against budget, tracking and reporting quantities.
- Regularly reviews and reports proposed change orders and cost deviations with Director of Construction.
- Obtains approval for change orders and cost overruns advance of progressing with change orders and cost overruns.
- Partners and Collaborates with property management, leasing and accounting on projects.
- Keep current with technical developments to other managers and departments.
- Develop, read, fully understand and correlate the contract documents with the scope proposal to ensure the project is built within the scope of the contract (design, budget and schedule).
- Responsible for correlating all major subcontracts and material with proposal scopes and the contract.
- Facilitates the “hand off” meeting with the estimating team to appropriately plan resources (labor, equipment, vendors, subcontractors).
- Ensures that the project is productive and efficient, Best Practices are communicated, and the project is technically sound and compliant.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management or related field is preferred, PMP certification a plus. Minimum of two years' experience in commercial project management required. Four or more years or equivalent work experience as a Project Engineer and/or Assistant Project Manager in the construction industry, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above is required. Work experience with commercial projects highly preferred. Work experience in the design-build industry desired. Proficiency with Microsoft applications, in particular Word and Excel, is highly desirable.
A thorough background investigation, including personal and professional references, criminal background and motor vehicle review will be conducted prior to offer of employment. Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment physical examination and drug/alcohol screen following a conditional offer of employment.
Job Type: Full-time
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off