The Camfil Group is a world leader in the development and production of air filters and clean air solutions. Camfil is also one of the most global air filtration specialists in the world with 26 production units and R&D centres in six countries in the Americas, Europe, South East Asia and the Asia-Pacific region.
We are currently seeking a R&D Project Engineer-Electrical for our Riverdale, NJ location.
Candidate must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering. Candidates with degrees in other fields with strong knowledge of electronic/computer systems will also be considered. A minimum of 3 years’ experience writing software in a professional environment is required. Candidate must demonstrate competence in both hardware and software. Experience programming microcontrollers, DSPs, or PLCs is desired. Candidate must have strong knowledge of physical sciences and experimental methods, knowledge in basic fluid dynamics is desired. Knowledge of basic control theory concepts (feedback, stability, noise, rise time, overshoot, etc.) and methods (PID, on-off, etc.) is desired. Experience designing data acquisition systems is a plus. Experience with PCB design is a strong plus.
Responsible for the design and construction of electronic systems for a Research and Development team. Systems may be laboratory-based and intended to aid experiments in controlled environments, or intended to be applied in the field to study product performance under real-world conditions. Systems may perform tasks such as acquiring data from sensor networks and controlling experimental parameters such as airflow, temperature, fan speed, valve position, etc. Once an understanding of air filtration science is developed, will be expected to suggest changes to systems and experimental methods. Responsible for the gathering and presentation of experimental data.
This work includes, but is not limited to:
- Selection of hardware components and software tools needed to perform a certain experiment.
- Design and implementation of feedback control systems.
- Design and implementation of data acquisition systems, mostly reading DC analog or digital inputs.
- Design of graphical user interfaces (GUIs) for both lab equipment and in some cases customer-facing applications
- Design of data storage solutions for lab and field equipment, including both SQL databases and flat-file formats.
- Responsible for gathering and presentation of experimental data, including generation of graphs, lab reports, curve-fits, etc.
- Once an understanding of air filtration science is developed, will be expected to actively participate in research, development of new products, and analysis of competitive products.
- Responsible for generation and organization of software documentation, drawings, etc.
- Typically a Camfil R&D project involves 1-10 persons and extends from 1-24 months.
Required Experience and Skills
- Academic degree equivalent to or higher than Bachelor of Science.
- Experience in two or more of the following programming languages: C, C++, Python, R, .NET Languages (C#, VB), LabVIEW
- Experience designing data acquisition or control systems. Experience designing IOT sensor systems is a strong plus.
- Experience in low-level programming with a working understanding of both hardware and software. Experience with PCB design is a strong plus. Experience with Atmel AVR microcontrollers a plus.
- Experience programming at least one of the following devices is required: microcontroller, DSP, FPGA, PLC. Robotics or industrial automation experience is a strong plus.
- Strong knowledge of physics, particularly in fluid mechanics. Interest in understanding complex physical systems through research and experimentation.
- Experience with SQL databases. Experience with Microsoft technology stack is a plus.
- Must be a diligent experimenter. Possess strong organization and communication skills.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced research environment where experimental objectives/parameters will be continuously changing.
- “Hands-on” experience including, but not limited to building test systems, power and communications wiring, and soldering.
If interested, please apply. Competitive pay and excellent benefits.
Job Type: Full-time