This National Guard position is for a AIRCRAFT MECHANIC, Position Description Number D1063000and is part of AASF 2, Nebraska Army National Guard.
View FULL PD#:
As a AIRCRAFT MECHANIC, WG-8852-10, duties include:
(1) Manages, monitors or performs overall maintenance, servicing, inspections and documentation for one or more highly technical, high performance military aircraft. Performs work in complex conditions under time and/or mission constraints to include all weather and night operations. Works with, coordinates and oversees the work of lower graded aircraft mechanics and certifies the work of journey level workers in other trades working on the assigned aircraft. Performs damage assessments and repairs. Participates in mission preparation and recovery operations. Oversees installation of equipment for special missions. Expedites aircraft operations to include concurrent servicing, refueling, and/or reconfigurations of equipment for changes in operational missions. Performs preflight, thru post-flight inspections and scheduled or unscheduled maintenance. Serves as the technical authority to identify and advise on requirements for airframe, mechanical, electrical/environmental, avionics, engine, and pneudraulic repairs on assigned aircraft.
(2) Ensures Unit Level Logistics-Aviation (ULLS-A) and other aircraft documentation accurately reflects status and air worthiness of assigned aircraft. Provides technical guidance and assistance to flight crews regarding observed discrepancies, experienced in-flight characteristics and system malfunctions. Performs or assists in air crew debriefing.
(3) Clears Red X Status symbols on aircraft forms for work performed by others. Performs in-processing and final inspection of others' work on assigned aircraft and components and certifies by signature adherence to work procedures and quality standards established by applicable publications. Participates in Maintenance Test Flights as a crew member or Technical Observer (TO), as required. May participate in operational flights as crew member or Flight Engineer. Makes decisions on a wide range of matters to ensure assigned aircraft is in the highest state of readiness and that maintenance performed is in accordance with the highest standards of safety, quality and technical compliance.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
8852 Aircraft Mechanic
Conditions of Employment
Military membership in the Nebraska National Guard Membership is required.
Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
Obtain/maintain the level of security clearance/background check required
May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
Direct Deposit is mandatory
Individuals with military incentive bonuses may be subject to recoupment.
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is a Title 32 excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
FOR QUESTIONS REGARDING ELIGIBILITY TO JOIN THE NEBRASKA ARMY NATIONAL GUARD PLEASE CONTACT THE LOCAL RECRUITING OFFICE AT 402-309-7458.
OPEN AREAS OF CONSIDERATION: AREA 1, 2, and 3
DEFINITION OF AREA(S) OF CONSIDERATION:
AREA 1: Current permanent and indefinite technicians of the Nebraska Army or Air National Guard; and current Title 5 employees of the Nebraska Military Department who are military members of the Nebraska National Guard.
AREA 2: All Drill Status/M-Day members and temporary technicians of the Nebraska Air or Army National Guard.
AREA 3: Current military service members who are willing and eligible to become members of the Nebraska Air or Army National Guard.
AREA 4: All qualified candidates eligible and willing to become a member of the Nebraska National Air or Army National Guard prior to the effective date of hire.
Compatible military grade and assignment required prior to the effective date of placement. This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Nebraska Army National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
Military Grades: Maximum: E6; Minimum: E1; Military Grade inversion within the full time work forces is not permitted. The military grade of the full time supervisor must equal or exceed the military grade of the personnel supervised.
Compatibility will be followed in accordance with 32 USC 709(b) and 10 USC 10216
Selectee has 24 months to become qualified in a compatible military assignment.
Security Clearance/Background Check requirements:
In order to comply with US DOD requirements and ensure the safety and security of the missions, programs, property and personnel of the Nebraska Military Department, employees must obtain the appropriate background investigation and maintain the level of security clearance assigned to their respective work.
Failure to obtain, within one year of appointment, and maintain the designated type of security clearance/background check required for the respective work may result in a job offer being rescinded, separations of employment, or other actions as may be deemed in the best interest of the agency.
Prior to appointment individuals must meet the security clearance requirements for the position or submit the required documents of the Nebraska National Guard, Personnel Security Manager for processing the appropriate investigation. Required forms: SF86, PSIP Initiation Form, Fingerprints, OF306 and Application/Resume.
Nebraska National Guard Personnel Security Manager - email@example.com; 402-309-8145.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience or training that has provided the candidate with the skill to remove and replace aircraft parts, accessories, and components, and to make adjustments and settings according to established specifications on the type of aircraft flown by the AASF. Must be skilled in the use of hand tools and test equipment.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must possess as least 18 months of specialized experience installing, adjusting, aligning, troubleshooting parts, subassemblies and components and functionally testing the various major and minor mechanics and pneudraulic systems on the aircraft flown by the AASF during overhaul and modification. Experience coordinating the work of other mechanics, and scheduling maintenance to ensure completion of critical actions and optimum workflow. Must have the ability to instruct lower graded mechanics, military and other personnel in the disassembly and re-assembly of crash damaged engines, transmissions, gearboxes, hydraulic components, and fuel controls sufficient for the exhibit to be returned to its shipping container.
There is no substitution of education for this position.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. Your answers to the assessment questionnaire will be verified against information provided in your resume and other supporting documentation. Be sure that your resume clearly supports your responses to all the questions addressing experience and education relevant to this position.
In describing your experience, please be clear and specific, we will not make assumptions regarding your experience. If, after reviewing your resume and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications or experiences, your rating will be adjusted or you may be excluded from consideration for this position.
Your qualifications will be evaluated against general and specialized experience under the "Qualifications" section and against the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Aircraft Maintenance, Attention to Detail, and Technical Problem Solving
To preview the assessment questionnaire, please use the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10707222
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (format should include Month and Year) of employment and duties performed.
Use this link for Resume Tips.
2. Other supporting documents (optional)
Other Veterans Document
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
National Guard & Reserves
Current members, those who want to join, or transitioning military members.
Clarification from the agency
Nebraska National Guard Area 1, 2, and 3 applicants