Production Supervisor - North Jackson
Plant Operations DIRECTS: All off-shift plant Operations
The Operations Off-Shift Supervisor position is responsible to balance safety (non-negotiable priority), quality, productivity, cost and employee morale to achieve manufacturing of first quality products according to established customer service and business objectives.
The Operations Off-Shift Supervisor will report to the Manager of Premium Melting/ Manager, Forge/Finishing. Operations Off-Shift Supervisor will interact with other employees in the Melt Shop, Human Resources Department, Maintenance Department, Quality Assurance, Technology, Operations Office, Supply Chain, and other sites as required to effectively performing the function of this position.
Specific primary responsibilities are defined by the following, but those listed are not all-inclusive:
Ensures compliance with safety policies and rules in the Melt Shop, Forge and Finishing departments, and that all team members work in a safe manner, including adherence to PPE requirements. Promotes a safety culture.
Ensures all team members take actions to minimize danger caused by molten metal, especially during equipment failure
Maintains a World-Class level of safety throughout Plant Operations.
In conjunction with Crew Leaders and HR Manager, ensures job-related safety training is scheduled, performed and documented for assigned employees.
Ensures compliance with applicable regulatory standards (safety, environmental, health), reporting any issues not immediately resolvable to the Manager, Premium Melt Shop or Manager, Forge/Finshing.
Completes incident/accident investigations and reports.
Attends and participates in all safety meetings.
- Works with Maintenance Engineer to ensure continuation and improvement of compliance of plant-wide programs for all required environmental inspections.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES (continued):
- Maintains compliance with quality systems and established process quality standards.
- Ensures proper documentation of quality-related information.
- Leads root cause analysis and corrective action investigations of re-work and other quality issues. Continued on next page
- Execute production operational and melting activities according to priorities to achieve on-time performance and acceptable cycle times.
- Align resources, initiatives and operations to achieve business goals and objectives.
- Prioritize workload based on schedules and assign, schedule, and/or redirect employees and apply resources based on emerging needs, equipment and materials availability, etc. in order to satisfy internal and external customers.
- Review, evaluate and record information through OFS and other methods in order to measure performance, cost, timeliness, inventory levels and other data pertinent to running a cost-effective, quality- and customer-driven operation.
- Ensure maintenance/inspection is performed on all equipment on a timely basis in conjunction with the Maintenance Department and the preventative maintenance program.
- Contact Maintenance Department and write work orders for repairs and maintenance that require their involvement to maximize equipment uptime. Follow up on timely completion of maintenance work.
- Recommend capital and/or other improvements related to facility, equipment, and processes and effectively implement changes as required.
- Report daily execution and shortfalls to applicable managers.
- Participate in Continuous Improvement initiatives as directed.
- Communicate performance expectations to assigned employees, including OTP, quality, and documentation.
- Provide, or coordinate, job-related training for employees to include all policies and procedures.
- Monitor, evaluate and communicate performance results to employees on a frequent and regular basis.
- Provide coaching, counseling, and discipline as appropriate in a fair and consistent manner to ensure high levels of job performance, adhering to cultural description and HR policies.
- Prepare and deliver performance evaluations in conjunction with policies as administered by the HR Department, and with oversight of department manager.
- Resolve employee-related problems in a timely manner through analyzing data, investigating issues, identifying problems and providing solutions, involving Department and/or HR Manager as appropriate.
- Adjust staffing due to call-offs as appropriate in order to ensure proper staffing to achieve OTP.
- Review and authorize timekeeping for employees in accordance with time keeping policies and procedures.
- Maintain appropriate staff levels through recommending additions/reductions to department staff and participate in applicant interviews and selection.
- Provide developmental opportunities to employees for their personal growth to support company goals and objectives.
- Cultivate effective employee relations based on mutual respect, a team-based culture, and employee engagement in safety, lean, continuous improvement and other business activities.
Excellent leadership, interpersonal, written/verbal communication, team-building & team-facilitation skills; strong ability to plan, coordinate, organize, monitor and prioritize activities; aptitude for process improvement, problem solving , solution implementation, laboratory equipment, understanding of melting practices and chemical related data.
Education and Experience:
Physical and Other Requirements:
- Minimum: High School Diploma. Preferred:Four-year degree in industrial management, engineering, business or other manufacturing related discipline.
- 3+ years experience in shop-floor supervision (job shop preferred).
- Demonstrated results leading a high-performance team
- Active leadership role in Lean and/or Six Sigma improvement initiatives with experience in replenishment/kanban operations.
- Specialty steel: VIM, VAR, hot working, heat treating, metal machining and/or finishing experience an asset.
Ability to speak, hear, understand and read fluent English in order to communicate effectively
Clearly and effectively able to type, hand write and communicate in good grammatical sentence structure
Near and far eyesight with accurate, average field of vision, color and depth perception
Utilize computer systems word, excel, power point and outlook
Ability to safely move around a heavy industrial plant environment up to 12 hours per day or more if needed
Ability to safely move around an office environment, sitting and utilizing a personal computer and other office equipment for an average of 4-6 hours per day
Lifting up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis
Ability to be flexible with work schedule and work off shifts
Maintaining good personal hygiene and professional appearance
Access allowed to confidential business information as necessary to perform this function effectively.