Ontario & Trumansburg Telephone Companies (OTTC)
JOB TITLE: Outside Plant Design Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Outside Plant
LOCATION(S): Phelps, NY
REPORTS TO: Director, Operations & Service Delivery/ Service Delivery Manager
EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS: Customers, Vendors, Consultants, Other Carriers, municipalities, and pole owners
The Outside Plant Design Engineer will be accountable for Outside Plant fiber design of an expanding fiber network. The employee will be involved with day to day decision making of fiber network design and customer connections.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Selects routing of lines and equipment required projects.
- Prepares detailed construction and installation drawings, estimates equipment, labor, and material costs.
- Initiates work authorization request and submits request with substantiating drawings and documents to management for approval.
- Orders materials and equipment required and directs work activities to make sure they conform to engineering specifications.
- Coordinate access to inside building wiring and inside conduct for cabling, as required.
- Engineer the fiber and copper cable network for the specific building, including all inside wiring design, and outside plant design.
- Coordinate with cable engineering and technical management on construction and service functions.
- Perform site surveys to provide pre-sale cost estimates for servicing a specific building.
- Complete Pole applications
- Prepare all permit applications including NYS DOT, county, local or railroad.
- Manage plant assignments in mapping system
- Drawn new plant assignments and construction drawings in mapping system
- Support of Service Delivery Department
- Minimum 3 years telecommunications experience
- OSP Engineering experience preferred
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE:
- Understanding of telecommunications industry;
- Knowledge of accepted engineering practices;
- Knowledge of aerial and buried cable placement and splicing methods, copper and fiber;
- Knowledge of feeder and distribution cable design;
- Operate a company vehicle (with valid in-state driver’s license;
- Knowledge of Mapcom M4 (preferred)
- Ability to work in an office environment that is sometimes fast paced and with a moderate level of noise
- Ability to sit or stand for extended time frames
- Ability to use office equipment; phone, computer, copier etc.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to work in all seasons and weather conditions
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $25.00 - $30.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Do you have Mapcom M4 experience?
- Telecommunications: 3 years (Required)