IMPORTANT: Please read this ad thoroughly to see that it is a fit based upon your experience and skill set. If it is, send resume AND COVER LETTER. Cover letter should help describe your passions and what makes you a fit for this position.
We are looking for an experienced, well-rounded VP of Engineering to manage diverse teams supporting our SaaS-based fleet management information system. The responsibilities of the VP of Engineering include maximizing the outcomes from the engineering teams, collaborating with department managers and senior management, and improving company policies and standards as they relate to the following functions:
· New customer implementations
· Technical support
· Product architecture
· Software development (including documentation and testing)
· System administration for web-based applications and related hardware peripherals
· PC / Network administration
To be successful as our VP of Engineering, you must have strong, proven organizational leadership experience, be able to effectively collaborate with team members, be a strategic problem-solver, and have hands-on experience with the Microsoft Development stack - .NET, SQL Server, Windows, Server, etc. The candidate must have strong emotional intelligence, excellent communication skills, an ability to communicate effectively with our team of engineers and developers, and a have solid foundation in software design, system administration, security and operational support of a web-based product. This is a senior management leadership position that will include hiring and firing decisions, final decisions as they pertain to the technology stack, budgeting and forecasting (hosting costs, staff run-rate, on-shore vs. off-shore considerations and cost/benefit analysis), strategic decisions with respect to technology roadmap, and more. As we are a small tight knit group, everyone “wears many hats.” The VP of Engineering is no different. Each employee contributes across many areas, i.e., we do not have any narrowly focused stove-piped positions.
Major initiatives we look for our VP of Engineering to manage in the near-term include, but are not limited to:
· Folding the implementation, support, development, product architecture, system administration, and security functions of the company under leader that directly reports to the president.
· Completing a transition from legacy software languages to .net or alternatives. Legacy code was written in Classic ASP (VBScript).
· Achieving a software release cadence of 3 – 4 major software releases per year.
· Ensuring we maintain our exceptionally high operational availability for all hosted products and services.
· Evaluating the cost-effectiveness and ease-of-administration of our current hosting solution and developing a plan for a “warm” or “hot” disaster recovery capabilities.
· Strengthening our security posture, tools, capabilities, and focus.
· Helping formulate the company’s technical short-term and long-term priorities.
VP of Engineering Position Requirements:
· Computer Science, Engineering or similar degree or equivalent real-world experience
· 15+ years’ of directly related experience managing SaaS solutions
· Strong organizational leadership skills, decision-making skills, can-do attitude and overall behaves with integrity and an entrepreneurial spirit
· Ability to strategically plan, prioritize, develop and manage schedules, execute deliverables in timely manner, and achieve established goals
· Experience recruiting engineers and other contributors
· Previous hands-on working experience in software design and development
· Strong knowledge of database (SQL Server) design and structures
· Experience in communications and network technology especially in maintaining an operational environment for a SaaS-based solution
· Current knowledge of technology trends, best practices, and change management
· Ideally, ability to work at our headquarters in Chantilly, VA a minimum of four days per week
In addition to the above, it is preferred that the candidate has experience with:
· Migrations from legacy environments to AWS or Azure Cloud
· Cloud-based software and network management, in general
· Modern software development and release processes
· Experience or knowledge of Entrepreneurial Operating System management processes a plus
Our company is small (~ 20 employees) yet our reputation is known throughout the fleet industry across North America, including government (federal, state, local), education (colleges, universities), commercial industries, and non-profits. Our headquarters is in Chantilly Virginia yet most of the team directly reporting to the VP of Engineering telecommutes on a full-time or regular basis. We are privately held. Our company and our client-base are growing. This new position is being added to consolidate management of several departments under one senior-level manager in order strengthen collaboration across technical departments as well as to reduce the number of managers reporting directly to the president. This is required ahead of anticipated growth and is a recommendation from an exciting new strategic management initiative in progress using the proven Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS - https://www.eosworldwide.com/what-is-eos) framework.
What exactly is it that we do? Organizations of all shapes and sizes rely on vehicles to do their work. We help organizations manage those vehicles. Our niche in the fleet industry is that we have the software and hardware tools that facilitate the efficient sharing of vehicles (e.g. reservations, self-service vehicle check-out & check-in, utilization reporting, automated billing). Through efficient sharing and vehicle management, organizations are able to save time, reduce costs, and improve service to their stakeholders. Our product, FleetCommander, also has fleet management capabilities / features such as GPS, self-service kiosks with automated key control, preventive maintenance scheduling, risk management, fuel management, driver management, reporting, and more. Locally, organizations such as Montgomery County, Prince George’s County, Fairfax County, the EPA, Frostburg University, and more use our system. I would encourage all interested candidates to view our web site (www.AgileFleet.com) before responding to learn about our workplace culture, products, services, and our outstanding customer service.
What’s in it for you?
· Opportunity to lead a strong team of talented professionals who are passionate about what they do, and work alongside a management team who is customer focused and driven to deliver their best on a daily basis Note: Current managers of our technical sub-departments have been with the company for an average of 14 years
· Opportunity to contribute to the continuous improvement of our products and services that are making a real difference within the fleet industry as a whole (read our testimonials and you will know what we mean)
· Opportunities to offer a fresh look at the way we do things and drive positive change for the greater good of the organization and the industry
· Workplace flexibility, work-life balance (one of our aspirational goals is to win a Best Place to Work Award and while we haven’t won yet, we are working toward it!)
· Competitive salary and bonus potential
· Health, dental and vision benefits
· 401K matching
· Opportunities for training and career development
· Generous PTO and paid holidays
. Compensation reflected in job posting is the floor of expected compensation. Actual compensation commensurate with experience
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $175,000.00 per year
- Engineering: 10 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Only full-time employees eligible