Blue Marble was the brainchild of Jordan and Katie Willing. Jordan is an explorer and a lifelong rockhound and Katie is a preschool teacher. For over 15 years we’ve proudly produced the most innovative science kits on the market. Each aimed at inspiring a love and exploration of the wonders of the natural world. Our products are now distributed to millions of children every year in over 60 countries around the world.
Blue Marble was founded in 2008 as JMW Sales, a consumer products company fostering exploration through play, learning and the outdoors. As owner of Discover with Dr. Cool, an award-winning educational toy brand, JMW Sales grew a small product line to a popular offering of over 100 products with wholesale retail partners all over the world. In 2015, we established a partnership with National Geographic, the 130-year-old science and conservation initiative, to create educational toys that inspire children to interact with and explore the natural world. In 2020, JMW Sales became Blue Marble, marking a renewed focus on creating environmentally sustainable products so that today’s young scientists inherit a vibrant, healthy planet in the future. Headquartered in Ashland, Oregon, Blue Marble also operates a 10,000 square foot factory in Xiamen, China where over 50 employees manufacture and assemble several products, including educational science kits.
Inspiring the next generation of scientists with really cool science kits!
What we Believe
True Discovery is a Magical Feeling that Never Goes Away!
What We Do
We Deliver Real Learning and Discovery through authentic experiences.
We use exciting science toys to inspire a lifelong love of learning.
We care about the world and how we do things matters to us.
We exist to make thoughtful, purposeful products that Inspire.
Who We Are
We are people with Curious Minds who love to learn and share that knowledge.
We are parents who want our kids to appreciate science and world around them.
Our Product Developer, Level 2 leads product development from concept through production, working with internal and overseas teams and licencors to deliver consumer-ready products.
This is a “hands-on” role where you work with Production, Design, Engineering, Graphics, Marketing, Sales, Compliance and Executive Management to represent the voice and needs of our customers. The Product Developer II captures the product vision, performs market and competitive research, gathers legal and IP feedback and ensures approval on concepts before moving forward with the product. They manage the product through the product development life cycle to generate all marketing materials and packaging for the product, product samples for testing and photography, product costing details for operations set-up and ultimately lead delivering the product to market.
The Product Developer II follows standards and processes, contributing to continual process improvement for our product development workflow and the development of our team. They use our project management and workflow tools for inter-departmental collaboration and lead product-briefing meetings with all internal stakeholders. They on-board and mentor junior level team members.
Our Product Developer II is a skilled communicator, organized leader and creative problem-solver with a positive attitude and the ability to thrive in an ever-changing and fast paced work environment.
· Lead toy products through the entire life-cycle - from early concept to launch and optimization - by working closely with the creative teams, and other business stakeholders to execute on product and business plans. Partner with other business units to ensure best practices and ensure proper integration with other JMW departments where necessary.
- Works with Marketing on product and packaging design to promote effective marketing strategies for product types.
- Works with outside Licencors to manage style guides, advises Design on licencor requirements and manages Licencor approval processes.
- Initiates, oversees and reviews procurement of new product samples. Is responsible for QC checks through initial development stages.
- Researches the most reliable and cost-effective sources domestically and overseas and in line with agreed development process.
- Maintains Bill of Materials on all Products. Supports Purchasing with related documentation.
- Works with Purchasing and Sales to satisfy production timelines for new product releases as well as managing running changes to existing products.
- Communicates throughout the organization as necessary by participating in meetings, presentations, one-on-one dialogue, etc. Provides formal written communication as necessary and/or required.
- Move the item through all steps of our process, from initial spec to launch stage
- Meet all product objectives on time, on cost, and on quality
- Drive progress and ensure that items pass all of our internal success requirements
- Organize product research and user / mom testing activities
- Daily problem solving and issues resolution
- Collaborate to define the product vision, strategy and business model.
- 5+ years’ experience within a consumer products toy field in product development; sports/entertainment licencor or licensee (Toy Manufacturer) experience and preferably with the design or technical engineering phases.
- Entrepreneurial, passionate, and collaborative
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously with superior attention to detail while managing to the big picture with diverse groups.
- Team player who is also on independent thinker, self-motivated, self-starter, analytical thinker and a creator
- Strong organizational, communication, interpersonal, time management skills, relationship-building skills and ability to work in a global environment
- Able to communicate complex concepts, projected performance, and risks to team and senior management.
- Extensive knowledge of toy categories including: manufacturing techniques, materials and technologies
- Strong negotiator
- Strategic vision for overall business and category
- Proven ability to exert influence without authority.
- Comfortable with uncertainty.
- Creative flair both in generating ideas and execution
- Good command of Microsoft Office Suite applications; word, excel, PowerPoint and Adobe applications; Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat.
- Experience with CAD, PDM, PLM systems and Project Management (Stage Gate process) preferred.
- Able to work flexible hours including some nights and/or weekends based on business needs and travel overseas as needed.
Director of Product Development
Job Type: Full-time
- Product Development: 5 years (Required)
- Ashland, OR 97520 (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance