Recruitment/Posting Title Application Developer
Job Category Staff & Executive - Information Technology
Department SEBS-NJ Agr Experiment Station
The New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station (NJAES) is an integral component of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. The experiment station provides a diverse range of research, extension, and education programs that serve the people of New Jersey and the urban, suburban, and rural communities in which they live. Through its Cooperative Extension offices in all 21 New Jersey counties, dedicated 4-H agents, Extension specialists, Family & Community Health Sciences educators, and Agriculture and Natural Resources agents work to serve New Jersey residents in every area of the state. In addition, off-campus field stations and farms focus on research ranging from support for fisheries, agriculture and allied businesses to support for youth and teens, while several centers and institutes on the George H. Cook Campus at Rutgers–New Brunswick engage in world-class research to provide solutions for a range of issues faced by New Jersey residents.
NJAES is led by the Executive Dean of Agriculture of Natural Resources and is guided by a Board of Managers, an advisory body appointed by the Rutgers Board of Governors.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking an Application Developer for SEBS-NJAES Office of Research Analytics (ORA). This position reports to the Associate Director of the NJAES Office of Research Analytics (ORA), the Application Developer is responsible for the development of web and technology-based applications on various projects undertaken by the ORA. This position is a part of a team of ORA staff responsible for developing innovative data-driven web applications and works independently on projects of moderate complexity, and under supervision on larger, more complex projects. As part of the development team, this position is primarily responsible for back-end, database design, and development. This role is responsible for ensuring these systems provide well-documented APIs for all front-end application interfaces and frameworks developed by other team members
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Provides experience designing and developing databases and custom APIs for integration into web applications for research and outreach needs.
- Evaluates data structures and needs, design database schema that achieve these needs, develop code for creating REST APIs and other server-side scripting needs, and properly documenting all API interfaces to meet the requirements of projects.
- Responsible for making recommendations regarding advanced tools, development platforms, and programming approaches for data-driven web applications that are often innovative in their field.
- Interfaces with project leadership to determine requirements and to obtain feedback to ensure that the designed systems meet the needs of users.
- Works with various web developers, web designers, and project managers and is responsible for integrating features or requirements built by these individuals and providing technical advice as necessary.
- Responsible for staying informed of advances in database and framework technology and adapting to new development tools and techniques.
- Prepares documentation for users and other developers in accordance with internal and external standards.
Position Status Full Time
Hours Per Week
Daily Work Shift Day
Annual Minimum Salary 67016.000
Annual Mid Range Salary 84775.000
Annual Maximum Salary 102534.000
Standard Hours 37.50
Union Description Admin Assembly (MPSC)
Payroll Designation PeopleSoft
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Terms of Appointment Staff - 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility ABP
Minimum Education and Experience
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent education and experience.
- A minimum of two years relevant work experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience designing and developing relational databases using SQL
- Experience in server-side scripting (PHP, Python, Perl, or equivalent) to develop automated server processes and the creation of custom application programming interfaces to support the development of data-driven web applications
- Knowledge of devleloping database schema and API documentation
- Experience coding int PHP, Python and Perl
- Experience developing relational databases, including tables, views, and queries using MySQL/MariaDB and PostgreSQL
- Experience utilizing server-side software such as cron to automate server processes
- Experience developing server-side application components on a Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP (LAMP) stack
- Knowledge of geographic information systems (GIS)
- Experience working with open source operating systems and server software. Familiarity with software versioning control systems such as Git
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Posting Number 19ST4472
Posting Open Date 11/21/2019
Special Instructions to Applicants
Regional Campus Rutgers University-New Brunswick
Home Location Campus Cook (RU-New Brunswick)
New Brunswick, NJ, 08901
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of all pre-employment screenings.