The Kirlin Company is a privately held (sole ownership) lighting fixture manufacturer with an extraordinary legacy of lighting innovation nurtured over a century. All its products are designed and produced in Detroit, Michigan, USA and are sold throughout the world. Today Kirlin is a market leader in LED Lighting for sophisticated architectural structures. Our expertise in improving patient outcomes via our medical lighting systems is revolutionizing healthcare throughout the world.
Product design - Development of new product initiatives through concept sketches, detailed part models and assemblies, prototyping and fabrication. Create, review, refine and finalize each project purpose, goals, specifications, costs, and limitations.
CAD development – Creation of 2D, 3D solid and sheet metal parts in Autodesk Inventor. Manage part, sub and top-level assemblies with detailed technical drawings, instruction sheet views and diagrams. Application of GD&T best practices.
Sustaining – Support design and processes improvements to reduce cost, improve quality, and efficiency. Process ECN documentation as needed. Creation of costed BOMs for ERP system.
Procurement – support purchasing department, release of items for quote, fabrication and production vendor communication.
- Successful product designs that are market leaders due to being cost effective, efficiently buildable, and top quality.
- Perform internal testing to verify results that support our design, quality, and customer expectations.
- Product documentation including costed BOMs that support product design.
- Written purchase specifications (performance, measurement, durability, Etc.) and review quotes of parts from outside vendors.
- Inspection of incoming parts and tooling samples for first article approvals.
- New, “out of the box thinking” ideas to grow our products and support our goals.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience with 2-year technical degree.
- 4 years’ experience developing electromechanical product.
- Knowledge of various fabrication and production methods; sheet metal stamping, forming, spinning, aluminum extrusion, diecasting, plastic injection molding.
- Rapid prototyping using SLA, FDM printers, CNC sheet metal, routers and mill.
- Certification standards for UL, specifically 8750, 1598, and 514A.
- Electrical components; integration of PCBs, COBs, LEDs, Drivers, Controls and wiring.
- FMEA: Thermal management.
- Photometric and/or testing lab experience.
- Ability to work under direction independently as well as collaborate on dynamic team projects as needed.
IDEAL CANDIDATE SHALL BE:
- Dedicated & high energy individual
- Self-motivated, winning attitude, collaborative
- Laser focused, resilient, and organized
- Driven by a passion for lighting applications and new technologies
- A driver of positive change and company growth
- Passionate about continuous market and technology research
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Engineering: 4 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location