Who is Taco Bell?
Taco Bell Corp., a subsidiary of Yum! Brands, Inc. (NYSE:
YUM), is the nation's leading Mexican-inspired quick service restaurant (QSR) brand. From breakfast to late night, Taco Bell serves made-to-order and customizable tacos and burritos, among other craveable choices, and is the first QSR restaurant to offer American Vegetarian Association (AVA)-certified menu items. Taco Bell and its more than 350 franchise organizations proudly serve over 42 million customers each week through nearly 7,000 restaurants across the nation, as well as through its mobile, desktop and delivery ordering services.
Overseas, Taco Bell has over 400 restaurants, with plans to add 2,000 more restaurants internationally within the next decade. The brand encourages its fans to "Live Más" and connects with them through sports, gaming and new music via its Feed The Beat® music program. Taco Bell also provides education opportunities and serves the community through its nonprofit organization, the Taco Bell® Foundation™, and connects fans with their passions through programs such as the Live Más Scholarship program. In 2016, Taco Bell was named as one of Fast Company's Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World.
About the Job:
The purpose of this position is to innovate new equipment tailored to our business strategy to fuel the future growth of the Taco Bell restaurants worldwide. Requires out-of-the-box thinking. Must be comfortable with trying new things and leading rapid prototyping, testing, and redesign. Yet have a pragmatic and results-oriented focus on business goals.
The Equipment Engineer will report to the Manager, Taco Bell Engineering. This individual will be responsible for leading projects to deliver next generation cooking, refrigeration, and beverage equipment. This is a demanding role where the successful individual will play a very important part. Success in this role depends not only on your own innovation and drive, but also on your ability to collaborate both internally with other functional experts, plus externally with designers and manufacturers.
- Develop restaurant equipment from concept and prototyping, through nationwide implementation. per the Engineering Equipment Approval Process,
- Define functional requirements, review design details, and lead testing for:
- Cooking platforms: Frying, Grilling, Toasting & Rethermalization.
- Beverage systems: Water Filtration, Drink Dispensers & Ice Makers.
- Holding systems: Refrigerated and Heated holding.
- Smallwares: designs to simplify Operations and support new menu needs.
- Work with cross-functional partners to ensure all business requirements are met and project goals are achieved, including but not limited to:
- Product Development: to enable current and future product strategies.
- Quality Assurance: food safety and regulatory requirements, and cleanable designs.
- Operations: easy of operation, reliability, productivity, capacity, and field testing.
- Architecture: facility requirements & constraints, plan updates, design needs.
- Supply Chain: project timelines, supplier reviews, design changes, value engineering.
- Complete functional requirements, specifications, installation, training and organized project documentation.
- Maintain Taco Bell Equipment websites, ensuring current equipment resources, for all U.S. and international standards.
- Execute Taco Bell's Equipment Approval Process (EAP) - review proposed equipment specifications, supplier requirements, test results, and field testing.
- Optimize and continuously improve equipment designs to drive cost savings, productivity, speed, ergonomics, reliability, and SKU reduction for the company.
- Manage Taco Bell relationship with vendors/suppliers and manage deliverables.
- Work closely with cross-functional team members to meet timelines and achieve results.
- Utilize Project Management processes to scope, cost, and schedule all equipment projects.
- Ensure the highest standard in kitchen equipment for over 7,000 Taco Bell locations worldwide.
Is This You?
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Agricultural or Chemical).
- 5-7 Years Engineering experience, preferably in food production or food service.
- Working knowledge of refrigeration and thermodynamic fundamentals.
- Experience with equipment automation, connectivity, and communication protocols.
- Demonstrated project management success, delivering project objectives on time and on budget.
- Self-motivated team player that displays high degree of energy and has a drive for action and getting things done.
- Strong interpersonal skills to participate in cross-functional teams and influence change in the organization and with suppliers.
- Excellent organizational, communication and follow-up skills.
- Competent in MS Office Suite: Excel, Word & PowerPoint.
Why Taco Bell?
We truly believe that where you work matters, and we know a thing or two about what makes employees happy. Join us on our mission of feeding people's lives with más!
- Year-round Flex day Fridays
- Free snacks, drinks and bagel & donut Fridays
- Onsite childcare through Bright Horizons
- Onsite dining center and game room (yes, there is a Taco Bell inside the building)
- Onsite dry cleaning, laundry services, carwash, salon services
- Onsite gym with fitness classes and personal trainer sessions
- 4 weeks of vacation per year plus holidays and time off for volunteering
- Tuition reimbursement and education benefits
- Discounts for life's adventures (ex: theme parks, wireless plans, etc.)
- Generous parental leave for all new parents and adoption assistance program
- Opportunity to taste test new products
- 401(k) with a 6% matching contribution from Yum! Brands with immediate vesting
- Comprehensive medical and dental including prescription drug benefits and 100% preventive care
- Healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Opportunities to support the Taco Bell Foundation's educational initiatives and programs.
- Recognition based culture and unique, fun events year round (recess at work, Halloween Spooktacular, employee art show benefiting Taco Bell Foundation, etc.)