The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this job. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform work-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description. This job description is not a “contract” between the employee and the Authority. The job duties and essential functions may be changed at the discretion of the General Manager.
Engineer III, Civil (Design) Department: Engineering & Technical Services
Regular, Full-Time Employment Type: Union
DS-13: $107,873 - $139,022 per annum Hours: 8:00am - 5:00pm
December 24, 2019 SCREENING DATE: January 8, 2020
Prepares and reviews civil engineering designs. Carries out established policies for civil engineering design work, and monitors performance of the Authority’s consultants and design contractors for compliance with these standards.
Incumbent is expected to carry out assignments independently, interpreting policy and regulations and coordinating work with others as required. Methodology and approaches to solution of problems are typically determined by the incumbent.
- Performs civil engineering design work for in-house projects, and reviews civil engineering designs performed by consultants and in-house staff.
- Reviews standards for design and participates in the development of new standards.
- Provides expertise in the resolution of problems encountered during design work.
- Provides technical guidance in interpreting codes, standards and contract documents.
- Evaluates consultants/contractors performance. Prepares correspondence and monitors contract payments.
- Reviews and approves contract submittals and shop drawings.
- Prepares cost estimates for design services. Negotiates costs and mitigates claims for design services on behalf of DC Water. Prepares change orders and other contract instruments.
- Maintains design schedules and verifies proper sequencing to avoid project delays.
- Complies with applicable safety rules and regulations.
- Performs other related duties and projects as assigned at the discretion of the immediate supervisor.
Key Working Relationships:
The incumbent interacts with co-workers in the department and throughout the Authority, contractors, consultants, and other government and private agencies when needed.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE & OTHER MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
The minimum qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability necessary for an individual to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable amounts of training are provided.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or other related engineering discipline from an ABET accredited curriculum or an ABET equivalent, and seven (7) years of progressive engineering experience related to civil engineering construction projects.
- Knowledge of civil engineering design of major water, sewer and wastewater treatment facilities.
- Knowledge of Federal, Local, and Industry engineering codes and standards.
- Knowledge of civil engineering concepts and principles. Skill in applying civil engineering practices and principles. Skill in evaluating and applying engineering design techniques.
- Knowledge of engineering software applications.
- Skill in communicating orally and in writing.
- Skill in identifying and resolving design problems.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Primary duties are performed indoors, but could be required to conduct field visits that could last several consecutive days. Conditions could include exposure to extreme cold and/or hot temperatures.
- Subject to noise, and to hazards from a variety of physical conditions.
- Subject to atmospheric conditions that affect the respiratory system or skin such as fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases or poor ventilation.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.