Do you have a passion for Information Technology? Are you looking to learn new technologies? Then we may have the job for you! We aren’t looking for your “average” IT person. We need a cut above. The ideal candidate would be a team player who can work across departments to manage a variety of network systems and operations. Here at the SCDMV we value teamwork, commitment, and excellent customer service. Come join us and find the keys to your future!
This position is in the Information Technology Department of the Application Shared Services Unit, Headquarters, Blythewood, South Carolina.
Responsibilities of the Systems Programmer/Developer I
- Formulates and defines system scope and objectives through research and fact-finding to develop or modify mid-level information systems. Prepares detailed specifications from which programs will be written. Assists with recommendations towards the development of new code/data/reports or reuse/enhancement of existing.
- Performs research and analysis required for project proposal, software systems modifications, and new projects.
- Identifies and addresses recurring problems and assists in the development and execution of business process best practices across the agency. May perform basic data maintenance. Will develop and maintain system level documentation of DMV systems
- Assesses design options, designs technical requirements for applications, identifies and analyses problems, tests, and debugs code, troubleshoots applications, maintains installed systems, produces, and maintains documentation, and conducts application quality assurance. May analyze and revise existing system logic difficulties and documentation. Assists in the development, maintenance, and support of IT programs. Troubleshoots and tunes existing programs or OT systems. May develop best practices for development and execution of systems. May develop technical documentation (designs, specifications, processes) and communications.
- Responsible for the preparation and modification of technical and capacity documentation.
- After hours batch support of production jobs on a rotating weekly schedule. Production application support and help desk monitoring on a rotating daily schedule.
- Promote positive teamwork and productivity within the team.
- A high school diploma and work experience in computer programming. An associate degree or a bachelor's degree in a related field may be substituted for the required work experience.
- Basic application-level knowledge of capabilities, programming techniques, and intricacies of information systems. Basic knowledge of computer languages.
- Basic application-level scripting ability to write and revise computer programs.
- Basic application-level scripting ability to understand and carry out technical instructions and requests.
- Ability to analyze and reduce to logical order complex technical data. Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner.
- Experience in the development and creation of computer programs utilizing VB.Net, C#, Java scripting, and AJAX. Exposure to relational databases and the ability to write SQL scripts. Experience preferred in Client/Server environment and exposure to Microfocus Cobol but not required.
- Works under the general guidance of the Application Development manager. Uses own good judgement in accordance with experience, knowledge of Agency/Dept. needs and long and short-term priorities and industry best practices to accomplish assigned tasks and/or projects based on management direction.
- Exposure to Oracle 12c or other RDBMS SW and tools, SQL, MS Windows 10, Server 2012 or higher, WCF/Web services, full life cycle development quality assurance, configuration management, Microfocus Cobol, VB/C# .NET and TFS. Valid SC DL: able to work extra hours as needed. Live within 40 miles or relocate.
What’s in it for you?
At the SCDMV you get to be part of exceptional team and diverse culture that nurtures mutual success for our customers, employees and our communities. We give you the tools to be successful; all you need to do is bring your best ideas, your energy and a desire to develop your skills, experience and career.
The South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles offers an exceptional benefits package for full time employees (FTE) employees.
Health, dental, vision, long term disability, and life insurance for employees, spouse and children (also available for temporary employees working over 30 hours per week)
15 days annual (vacation) leave per year
15 days sick leave per year
13 paid holidays
State Retirement Plan and Deferred Compensation Programs (optional for Temporary Employees)
So what are you waiting for? We're excited to hear from everyone with the skills, experience, and passion to do a great job.
The Department of Motor Vehicles is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, including, but not limited, to lactation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information.
Supplemental questions are considered part of your official application. Any misrepresentation will result in your disqualification from employment. Please complete the state application to include all current and previous work history and education.