Johns Manville in Spartanburg, SC is currently seeking a Controls Engineer to join our team! In our Spartanburg plant we produce a variety of polyester reinforcement, filtration and specialty fabrics using JM-proprietary Spunbond technology. As an internal supplier to JM's Roofing Systems Group and several other commercial roofing manufacturers, product lines can be found as a reinforcement in modified bitumen roofing applications worldwide. The plant has three active production lines, is registered under the ISO-9001:2008 quality standards and operates on a 24/7 schedule with approximately 100 JM employees.
The Controls Engineer will provide support to our manufacturing operations to ensure the plant is meeting operational and financial goals. In addition, responsibilities will include providing Electrical Engineering support. This role will be responsible for evaluating current and future needs for the asset management of plant equipment. This position includes performing unplanned, planned, preventative, predictive and corrective electrical and control systems maintenance to core process and auxiliary equipment in a continuous process manufacturing plant.
Your Day to Day:
- Ability to lead and perform control systems engineering for all aspects of projects with limited guidance.
- Systems analysis and troubleshooting.
- Development of preventive and predictive maintenance procedures.
- Prepares and reviews technical electrical specifications for equipment and processes.
- Assist facility with manufacturing operations as well as execution of electrical safety initiatives.
- Productivity and Quality Improvement (compliance with ISO 9000 certification requirements).
- Maintenance planning and scheduling support.
- Capital project management.
- Utility management.
- Six Sigma, SPC, Lean, 5S, and TPM applications, sponsorship, and team development.
- Application of "Best Practice" technologies.
- Compliance with all safety/environmental standards, and promotion of safe work practices.
What You Bring to the Team:
- Bachelor's Degree (minimum) in Electrical Engineering or related discipline.
- 3 years of experience in process loop control systems engineering in a continuous and/or discrete manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated electrical and control system engineering capabilities.
- Experience with Allen-Bradley AC variable speed drives
- Experience in maintenance, operation, troubleshooting and repair of PLC systems.
- Demonstrated ability to provide solutions to basic project and process engineering problems.
- Solid knowledge of Allen-Bradley PLC and HMI applications (including programming) along with communications within enterprise and control networked systems.
- CAD (AutoCAD) experience and ability to read and interpret electrical and control drawings
- Demonstrated capabilities in working collaboratively with internal and external engineering resources.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Proficient in computer applications and analysis of process data.
- Ability to visually inspect and troubleshoot electrical/process control systems
- Ability to travel periodically, domestically and internationally.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with Industrial Database systems (WonderWare).
- Experience in VMWare.
- Knowledge of Servers and Thin Clients technology
- Experience in electrical power distribution, equipment, protection and sizing
- Demonstrated knowledge in the application of the NFPA 70E Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace -- arc flash energy and shock hazards.
- Demonstrated experience in the engineering and implementation of 480V (Switchgear, Power Distribution Panel, Motor Control Center) and 4160V Power Distribution Systems.
- Six Sigma Certification a plus. Solid analytical ability to determine and develop solutions to moderately complex problems
- Experience in Siemens variable speed drives / European control schemes a plus
- Knowledge of Siemens PLCs.
- Experience in polymer science or textile manufacturing a plus.
Johns Manville (JM) offers a wide range of benefits to employees. Some are subsidized by the company and others are fully employee-paid. Health benefits include a choice of comprehensive medical plans, a dental plan, vision plan, wellness program and critical illness insurance. JM sponsors a 401(k) plan which includes a sizeable company match. JM offers paid vacation and also provides paid sick and parental leave for eligible employees.
Additionally, Johns Manville provides basic life Insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an employee assistance program, and business travel accident coverage. Supplemental life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment insurance are available as well. The company also offers a variety of tax saving accounts; health spending account, traditional flexible spending account, and a dependent care spending account. JM also offers a tuition reimbursement program for undergraduate and certain graduate programs.
Why Johns Manville
Johns Manville is a proud member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies, serving customers in more than 80 countries, supplying innovative products to the construction, aerospace, automotive, filtration and energy industries. With a more than 160-year legacy, we understand that our story continues to grow only with the right people saying, thinking and doing the right things. Make your story our story.
Johns Manville believes diversity and inclusion in our workplace is critical for the long-term success of our company. We are committed to retaining, developing and attracting a diverse workforce that fosters an inclusive work environment in which all employees are treated with dignity and respect. This is the right thing to do for our employees, our company and our communities.
Johns Manville is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $88,000.00 - $121,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Relocation assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location