Kiewit Engineering Group, Inc is a full-service construction driven engineering firm. Our combined staff of more than 1,300 engineers and design professionals have expertise that spans all major engineering disciplines to serve transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, and oil, gas & chemical markets. Backed by 130 years of construction experience, our construction-driven engineering focuses on constructability and safety in the earliest phases of projects to ensure on-time and on-budget project delivery.
Our rapidly growing Infrastructure Engineering Team, which includes structural, geotechnical, civil, drainage, roadway, transit, and materials disciplines, is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit with best-in-class technical expertise focused on the design-build delivery of infrastructure projects.
We are an innovative team of design engineers that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff leads and collaborates with Kiewit’s construction teams to approach construction-driven engineering with a focus on safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. Kiewit’s culture encourages training, developing your skills, and tailoring your experience and knowledge to allow you to take on projects that impact millions across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building 401k plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
Kiewit is seeking a Senior Geotechnical Engineer responsible for technical engineering assignments in support of Kiewit Corporation’s business across the US and Canada. The primary duties of this engineer will focus on design, field support, and testing of ground improvement techniques. A strong technical and practical background in ground improvement and geotechnical engineering is required. The successful candidate should possess excellent communication skills as well as an ability to work well in a team environment.
The Senior Geotechnical Engineer will work with an interdisciplinary team that includes structural, roadway, drainage and materials engineers as well as estimators, schedulers and other construction professionals in Kiewit’s Construction Districts, including Kiewit’s own Specialty Foundation Division, to develop economical and technically sound ground improvement solutions. The Senior Geotechnical Engineer will be responsible for overseeing the production and/or review of engineering reports, geotechnical analyses, technical specifications, construction drawings, as well as directing the work of staff geotechnical engineers.
***This position requires travel to project offices and work sites and periodic short-term field assignments.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
The Senior Geotechnical Engineer is responsible for technical engineering assignments in support of Kiewit Corporation business, including:
- Providing project support during the proposal/bid phase working with various team members to identify and evaluate innovative and cost-effective design solutions to ground improvement challenges.
- Working with the pursuit team to help identify key design and construction risks and develop plans to mitigate these risks.
- Working on design-build projects as the Geotechnical Engineer-of-Record responsible for developing design recommendations and producing design deliverables for ground improvement and specialty foundations.
- Supporting efforts to capture and spread lessons learned throughout Kiewit Construction Districts.
- Training and developing staff engineers.
- Minimum 10 years of progressive, relevant ground improvement and geotechnical engineering experience, 15+ preferred.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the U.S. and/or Canada, required
- Master’s degree, or equivalent experience, in Geotechnical Engineering or closely related field, required.
- Demonstrated broad technical knowledge of geotechnical engineering and ground improvement techniques.
- Ground improvement experience including design and oversight of: rigid inclusions, vibro-replacement (stone columns), vibro compaction, compaction grouting, permeation grouting, jet grouting, micropiles, deep dynamic compaction, design of working pad and load transfer platforms.
- Demonstrated broad technical knowledge of geotechnical engineering, including: 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional Finite Element (FE) modeling, strong understanding of SPT and CPT testing methodology, and conventional load testing.
- Demonstrates strong verbal and written communication skills, with a demonstrated focus on interdisciplinary design coordination, coordination between Engineering and Construction, experience working in a team setting, and directing/reviewing the work of others.
- Strong interpersonal skills resulting in exceptional rapport with people. Proven success in initiating, promoting, and maintaining strong interpersonal relationships amongst a team.
- Ability to travel to project sites and the physical ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environmental conditions.
- Design-Build experience, preferred.
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
- Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
- Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
- 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
- Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
- We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.