The positions is located in the Department of Homeland Security, United States Coast Guard, Surface Forces Logistics Center, Engineering Services Division, Baltimore, MD.
The incumbent will serve as a senior mechanical lead engineer in the Main Propulsion Machinery Section (MAIN PROP) of the Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering Branch (NAME) at the U.S. Coast Guard Surface Forces Logistics Center (SFLC). The incumbent will serve as a SFLC technical authority for propulsion machinery, equipment, systems, and for mechanical engineering issues. Propulsion machinery equipment and systems encompass diesel engines, gas turbines, propellers both controllable and fixed pitch, reduction gears, propulsion shafting equipment, water jets and maneuvering thrusters, combined plants, fuel and lube oil analysis, Z-drives, integrated electric drive prime movers, and mechanical aspects of podded propulsors installed onboard Coast Guard cutters. The selected candidate will specifically serve as the Lead Engineer for the Coast Guard Lube Oil, Coolant, and Hydraulic Oil testing program for shipboard systems and as the Lead Engineer for MTU/Rolls Royce diesel engine products. (MTU 396 and MTU 1163 diesel engines)
Responsibilities could also include shipboard airborne noise and vibration performance, and USCG propulsion (non aviation) fuel policy, in addition to participation in ship performance trials and machinery components/system testing and reliability/condition based maintenance approaches.
Being a Coast Guard civilian makes you a valuable member of the Coast Guard team. Typical work assignments include:
- Designing or directing the development of unique or leading-edge technology, equipment, or systems to meet specific mission requirements.
- Providing technical input to new USCG cutter/machinery component and/or system acquisition projects. Acquisition documents may include performance specifications, design, construction, and testing standards, statement of work, and CDRL descriptions.
- Serving as a senior engineer in coordinating and integrating the planning, programming, development, oversight, scheduling, and overall management of resources for multi-phase projects.
- Performing contractor oversight for highly complex projects that involve propulsion machinery; reviews plans, specifications, and cost estimates for technical adequacy.
- Accomplishing varied and complex management duties in participation with project teams and makes decisions affecting areas of responsibility that are controversial and precedents setting.
- Consulting with management and planning personnel in preparing requirements and criteria for complex or high value projects for construction or modification of marine propulsion systems, equipment or hardware.
- Conducting analysis and applying findings from comprehensive technical reviews of literature published within the agency, other agencies, private industry and research institutions in the development of national program guidance, or directives.
- Exercising advanced technical knowledge of proven concepts and practices on systems or equipment to correctly evaluate problem resolution alternatives or the risk associated with using or replacing a nonconforming component.
25% or less - Occasional travel.
Job family (Series)
0830 Mechanical Engineering
Conditions of Employment
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
To qualify for this position, applicants
must show that they possess a professional knowledge of engineering
principles and practices through the following:
Completion of a bachelor's or higher degree in engineering that was
from an ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology)
accredited school or that included courses in differential and
integral calculus and courses (beyond first year physics and
chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering
science or physics:
(a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of
materials (stress strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d)thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
Registration as a professional engineer by a state, the District of
Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico.
Successfully passing the Engineering-in-Training (EIT) examination,
or the written test required for professional registration that is
administered by the Boards of Engineering Examiners in the various
states, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico, and
completed all the requirements for either (a) bachelor's degree in
engineering technology (BET) from an accredited college or
university that included at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences, or (b) a BET from an ABET-accredited program.
A combination of at least 4 years of college-level education,
training, and/or technical experience that included successful
completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical,
mathematical, and engineering sciences, including the courses listed
in paragraph A above. (NOTE:
The courses must be fully acceptable
toward meeting the requirements of a professional engineering
Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree
in engineering technology or in an appropriate professional field
(e.g., physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science,
mathematics, hydrology, or geology) AND at least 1 year of
professional engineering experience under the guidance and
supervision of a professional engineer.
IN ADDITION to meeting the basic education requirements (above),
FOR THE GS-13
Applicants must have at least 1 full year of professional
engineering experience (equivalent to the GS-12 level in the federal
service) planning, designing,or directing the development of unique or leading edge technology, equipment, or systems to meet specific mission requirements; determining mechanical engineering requirements/specifications for propulsion machinery or related systems; solving mechanical engineering problems for marine propulsion equipment and systems; ensuring timely and cost-effective execution of contracts; and inspecting ongoing and contracted work for adequacy, conformance to standards, etc.
Specialized experience is experience that has equipped you with the particular ability, skill, and knowledge to successfully perform the duties of this position and is typically in or related to this line of work.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience):
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
The Office of Personnel management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule, C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
This position does have a positive education requirement. If you are including education on your resume, report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. See Required Documents section for detail.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet Federal qualification requirements if you can show that your foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the United States. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence with your application. See Recognition of Foreign Qualifications click here
Applicants will be required to complete questions contained on the Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306) at the time a tentative job offer is made. Certain responses on the form could pose a problem with suitability for employment determinations. If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete/make updates to the OF-306 and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, or imprisonment.
DHS uses e-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about e-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities at click here
Recruitment incentives may be authorized.
All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit.
The Department of Homeland Security encourages persons with disabilities to apply, to include persons with intellectual, severe physical or psychiatric disabilities, as defined by 5 CFR § 213.3102(u), and/or Disabled Veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30 percent or more as defined by 5 CFR § 315.707. Veterans, Peace Corps/VISTA volunteers, and persons with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. If you are a member of one of these groups, you may not have to compete with the public for federal jobs. To determine your eligibility for non-competitive appointment and to understand the required documentation, click on the links above or contact the Servicing Human Resources Office listed at the bottom of this announcement.
More than 1 selection may be made from this announcement if additional identical vacancies in the same title, series, grade, and unit occur within 45 days from the date the certificate was issued.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for the application and hiring process, please contact 410-636-3504. Decisions on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. Visit Reasonable Accommodation
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your résumé and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be referred for consideration. The following competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities are needed to perform this job:
- Knowledge of advanced concepts, principles, and practices of mechanical engineering.
- Ability to develop new approaches for use of other engineering specialists in solving a variety of engineering problems.
- Skill in applying new developments and experienced judgement to solve novel or obscure problems.
- Ability to extend and modify existing engineering techniques.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Q Access Authorization
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
1. Your resume
2. Your responses to the online questionnaire
3. If qualifying based on education, submit a legible copy of your unofficial college transcript from an accredited college/university. The transcript copy must reflect the college/university name and/or logo. Applicants are highly encouraged to proactively order a copy of their official transcripts to be delivered to their home address so transcripts will be readily available if selected. If selected, you will be required to provide official transcripts prior to establishing your start date. Foreign education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet federal qualification requirements if you can show that your foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited institutions in the U.S. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence with your application. See Recognition of Foreign Qualifications click here.
4. If you are claiming special priority selection rights under the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), submit a copy of your agency notice, most recent performance rating and most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, noting your current position, grade level and duty location. If you have never worked for the federal government, you are not ICTAP eligible. To be considered eligible, you must be placed in the well-qualified category for this position. Please see ICTAP eligibility.
5. If you are a current active duty military member who does not have a DD214 and is claiming preference under the Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) Act, you must submit certification from the Armed Forces indicating that you will be discharged or released under honorable conditions from active duty within 120 days from the date on the certification. Certifications must be on letterhead from the appropriate military branch and include the following information: military dates of service and expected discharge or release date, character of service, military rank, type of discharge and date when terminal leave will begin. Certifications must be signed by, or by direction of military members’ military personnel offices, unit commanders or higher headquarters.
6. OPM must authorize employment offers for former or current Political Appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C or Non-Career SES employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information. Submit proof of your former or current status, such as your SF-50. Please see here.
All documentation as outlined above must be received by the closing date of the announcement. If you are unable to submit your documents electronically, you may fax or mail the documents. A fax cover sheet will be provided to you from the system, with fax number and instructions to transmit the requested documents. The required documents will also be accepted by mail and must be received by the closing date of the announcement. The mailing address is United States Coast Guard, 2401 Hawkins Point Road, Mailstop 4 Building 1, Baltimore, MD 21226.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(K)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and development opportunities. For more information, go to the DHS Careers website and select “Benefits”. Disabled veteran leave will be available to any Federal employee hired on or after November 5, 2016, who is a veteran with a service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.