With over 8,000 employees worldwide, the Microsoft Customer Services & Support (CSS) team includes support engineers, advocates, and business leaders who serve our customers in 191 countries and 46 languages, providing best-in-class support services. Our CSS team is on the front lines with our customers – Consumer through global Enterprises - ultimately empowering every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.
It is an amazing time for our industry. Microsoft has an opportunity to be the market leader in customer support experience and we need your leadership to help us act on it. The Customer Service and Support organization is the place where the future, digital end to end customer support experiences will come to life. As an organization we seek to empower, help and guide customers on how to get the most from their technology investments while enabling our people to put customers at the center of all that we do.
The Resource Strategy and Vendor Planning (RSVP) - Demand Forecast team is seeking a senior-level data science/analytics and engineering switch-hitter to help drive forecast excellence. As the Forecasting Lead (Sr. Data Scientist), you will be responsible for partnering with internal teams to gather requirements, prototyping, architecting, implementing/updating forecasting solutions. The individual must be able to adjust to constant business change; common types of changes include new requirements, evolving strategies, and emerging technologies. This requires the ability to interact, develop, engineer, and communicate collaboratively at the highest technical levels with SMEs and others. Because the position requires extensive interaction with other groups within CSS and other Microsoft functions, you must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills while maintaining determined attitude.
About our immediate team:
We’re a highly visible team, responsible for delivering global operational demand forecasts for resource planning across the Microsoft suite of products globally. This includes everything from mining to exposing past customer-driven trends, to research leading to behavior predictions for new product launches, to learning emerging technologies required for solution automation and machine learning (ML), and understanding the business impacts of everything in-between. This is a rare opportunity to develop and use multiple skills in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment.
- Build and develop analytical models working alongside a strong team of Leads, Analysts and Architects to deliver demand forecasts for CSS and its SBUs
- Develop experimental and analytic plans for data modeling processes, use of strong baselines and ability to accurately determine cause and effect relationships
- Engage broadly with the Stakeholders / SBU / LoB leadership to frame, structure and prioritize business problems where insights can have the biggest impact
- Partner and collaborate with other teams on related deliverables, and effectively leverage others in relevant work streams.
- Create and manage standards, processes, and procedures to ensure agile delivery and consistent operations
- Design and implement changes in the forecasting systems and processes to incorporate rapidly changing business strategies and to apply advanced analytics concepts towards rich and bold insights
- Act as an evangelist and catalyst for BI & Analytics innovation
- Manage the portfolio of work including monthly governance with stakeholders
- Attract, develop, retain talent and improving productivity, efficiency, and effectiveness of the team and / or business
- 10+ years of analytical hands on experience across Regression (Linear/Logit/Gamma), K-Means/Modes., Clustering, Markov Chain, Monte Carlo, Non-Linear Time Series. Text mining, Dynamic Programming, Hypothesis testing, OR and Optimization techniques, Fraud Analytics etc.
- BS degree in Business, Mathematics, or a related business discipline. A master’s degree in Statistics/Economics or related discipline is preferable, but a candidate with strong analytical background in problems relating to Big Data and Analytics is also acceptable
- Strong forecasting experience required with an emphasis in Customer Support
- Proven track record of delivering highly scalable and reliable systems through multiple cycles
- Experience on Microsoft BI stack and exposure to Big Data, machine learning and data mining, large scale computing systems like COSMOS, Hadoop, MapReduce and other big data technologies including experience in SQL, R, Python, SAS, or similar languages.
- Advanced Excel skills (Pivots, dimensional modeling, linking to external data sources)
- Combination of deep technical skills and business savvy to interface with all levels and disciplines within our organization
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills. Ability to convince other strong personalities of their ideas and work with partners in problem solving.
- Experience with presenting findings with executive audiences
- Ability to synthesize complex issues/scenarios into easy-to-understand concepts
- Attention to detail with self-discipline and a drive for results.
- Demonstrated ability to work in ambiguous situations and across organizational boundaries.
- Extensive problem-solving skills, self-confidence, and strong leadership qualities
- Experience working in a global team or in 24x7 service operations
- Knowledge of cloud services, such as Windows Azure or Amazon Web Services
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.