A Customer Engineer performs is the primary technical consultant for one or more customers. They provide technical assistance, including troubleshooting and developing upon the CAD/AVL systems clients currently use. They must keep up to date on the latest technological developments in order to better advise transit agencies on the most effective way to utilize the software and its associated hardware.
The equipment and software which a Customer Engineer works with is oftentimes complex and highly specialized. Fixing large-scale networking problems and being the front line for escalation with a client is a key role for this position. Upgrading and patching software is another function of this position.
The work of a Customer Engineer is customer-facing, they must be professional and have strong communication skills. There is more to this position than technical work, the ability to explain the progress of the project to clients is paramount.
In this way they would also act as a project manager. Vontas is currently seeking a Customer Engineer to support multiple clients in the multiple time zones. This position will require the Customer Engineer to be at the client site regularly to provide assistance, training, and meetings with the customer.
This position requires up to 50% travel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports the external customer(s) as well as Vontas staff with problem tracking, resolution, and escalation
- Keep customer informed of problem status and resolution
- Manage and maintain all aspects of the maintenance agreements with assigned clients
- Create development reports, FAQs and knowledge base articles
- Coordinate and install standard upgrades and patches as necessary
- Lead workflow process and software configuration sessions with customers
- Deliver training to customer as needed
- Prioritize and balance competing issues based on urgency(internal and external) and length of time outstanding
- Available for remote support after hours in an on-call rotation (compensated)
- Travel to the Vontas Head Office may be required as needed.
- Knowledge of the Public Transportation Industry, specifically with CAD/AVL, preferred but not required.
- Strong consulting skills required.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Windows.
- SQL Server and/or ORACLE database experience is preferred.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Proficiency with networking concepts and computer hardware.
- Positive attitude.
- Must be able to multi-task.
DECISION MAKING: Must be a self-starter. Able to work alone and as part of a team.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS: Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills. Must produce job related documentation in the form of reports. This position is very visible to the customer and must maintain a high level of professionalism.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor degree in a technical discipline or equivalent experience with proven training in network administration and/or computer programming. Minimum 5 years of related experience.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Microsoft SQL Server: 2 years (Required)
- CAD/AVL experience?: 2 years (Preferred)
- Engineering: 2 years (Required)
- consulting: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: Multiple Locations