M&P Engineer performs the function of a research engineer in the field of advanced composite materials and manufacturing methods. The primary responsibility will be in executing existing and securing research projects by working with other engineers. Contribute to the successful execution of government-sponsored programs in advancing the state of the art in composites technologies as a Principal Investigator and/or as a subject matter expert including writing reports and presenting results and progress. Supporting research and testing activities to ensure satisfactory completion of research projects.
Education and Experience:
BS Degree with a minimum of 5+ years experience, or MS with 3+ years of experience, or entry level PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Polymer Science, Materials Science, or other related disciplines. Experience in a Research and Development environment a plus. The ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. Government Industrial Security clearance is mandatory.
Desired Attributes, Skills, and Qualifications:
- Expertise in experimental mechanical testing, composites fabrication, composites analysis, composites simulation tools, and software validation.
- Knowledge of industry practices and standards, with a particular focus on the fabrication, qualification, and testing of composite materials.
- Conduct stress analysis on metallic and composite structures using FEMAP / Nastran and other FEM tools.
- Experience with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Ability to set goals and tasks to effectively manage and execute multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to solve technical problems by combining scientific knowledge and hands-on experiments to undertake specific tasks and projects.
- Project management experience in leading the scoping, costing, and scheduling of engineering projects.
- Experience writing and winning research proposals.
- Experience interacting with industry and/or government research sponsors.
- Effective technical communication skills, interpersonal communication skills, presentation skills, and technical writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to attract competitive project funding, substantial proposal writing experience, and technical leadership of major technical programs.
- Successful in taking innovative technologies from the applied research stage to product development and ultimately to the commercial market.
TRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply.