An MS Stack Engineer’s role is to assist in maintaining the availability, performance, and security of the IT infrastructure, with specific expertise in the Microsoft technology stack. The MS stack engineer will manage complex projects from concept to fully operational status.
Specific responsibilities may include:
- Manage large-scale or high-risk projects for the client.
- Evaluate project requests, estimate timelines, and execute project steps with no direct supervision
- Migrate applications and systems into the production environment, including addressing required business communications and training.
- Manage the timely resolution of all hardware failures or network incidents, in addition to the management of all OS and application patches, updates, and hotfixes.
- Implement new solutions to improve the organization’s security, audit strength, and scalability.
Required Education, Knowledge, and Experience:
- Active Directory and Azure: OM & Schema control, Forest and Domain management, Trusts and forwarding, Users and Computers, Sites and Services,DHCP pools and reservations, DNS, Group Policy, LDAP filters and queries, AADSync, Powershell and Powershell MSOL.
- Windows Servers: 2000, 2003, 2008 R2, 2012 R2, 2016 (physical and VM). Build-out, imaging and deployment, backup & restore, patching, hardware management, resource management and allocation, troubleshooting, vendor management, critical incident response. MCSE.
- Firewalls: Barracuda 400, Barracuda 610, F5 Big-IP LTM, High availability device and pool management, advanced troubleshooting, certificate management.
- Networking: IP address pool management (static/DHCP/opt63), DNS (internal or forwarded), Juniper SSL VPN and concurrent licensing, basic ACL permit/deny IP/range/network port/protocol, functional knowledge and traffic inspection/troubleshooting of Layer 3 switching, VOIP traffic/gateway/device configuration/management, DPI/shaping, VLAN segmentation and management.
- Client/Server: Mail (SMTP, IMAP, Exchange, O365), Desktop agents (Altiris, KACE, Symantec and other managed service applications), PXE.
- SQL Server 2008/2012/2014/2016: Install, patching, troubleshooting, SSMS/SSRS client, BIDS, version control (SourceSafe and TFS).
- Back-up: Full/incremental/differential backups. Shadow copy and mirroring, Veeam and NetBackup, Ghost (image capture/deployment), Tape backup/rotation and storage, and virtual tape gateways with AWS storage.
- Hosting: EMC VNX and VNXe SAN array, VMware vSphere 6 and ESXi 6, Dell DataDomain, Citrix XenApp/XenDesktop/Provisioning Server hosted VM environment, IIS build/management, saml 2.0 SSO.
Experience with the following is required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years support experience in MS stack technology.
- MCSE preferred.
- Experience in providing process improvement recommendations and documentation.
- Industry best practice knowledge and experience with systems, network, and security troubleshooting.
- Proficiency with Windows Server 2003/2008/2008 R2/2012/2012 R2/2016
- Administration/management of Active Directory, Group Policy, DNS/DHCP, and File Server.
- VMware vSphere 6.0, ESXi 5.5 and 6.0, EMC VNX and VNXe platforms.
- Veeam 8 and 9.5 Backup and Restore with Enterprise Manager
- SQL server 2012 and 2014
- Dell Datadomain DD610 implementation and management
- General proficiency with Powershell scripting.
- Office 365 suite, Azure application hosting, AADsync and Powershell MSOL.
- Exchange 2007, 2010, and 365 (azure-hosted) & Lync federation.
- Barracuda Web Filter and Spam & Virus Firewall configuration and management.
- F5 Big IP LTM VE firewall configuration and management.
- Nagios XI server/application monitor with Nagios Network Analyzer.
- IIS site hosting, GlobalScape EFT/FTP, Axway Interchange, & Sterling AS2.
- SharePoint administration, database structure, and patch management.
- CompTIA CCNA and A+. Actively pursuing MCSE certification.
- Citrix 5.6 environment management including XenApp, XenDesktop, and Provisioning Server.
- Construction and management of K1000 Help Desk appliance and its structured environment
- Interactive Intelligence ICCS 4.0 VOIP/edge gateway certified engineer.
- Symantec/TrendMicro desktop & server security suites and practices.
- Strong service/product vendor management with organizations such as Microsoft, Tyco, CDW, and FIS.
- Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrate the ability to take ownership, prioritize and manage competing demands and tasks, and successfully manage multiple internal and client responsibilities that may require coordination with client resources or coworkers.
- Ability to analyze complex business systems and proprietary application configurations, document the configurations and processes, and support them as needed.
- Demonstrate the ability to provide best practice recommendations, including architecture and processes, for managed systems
- Attention to detail and thoroughness
- Self-reliant and proactive as there may be minimal daily supervision