Works under the general supervision of the Chief, Engineering Service in supervising the construction program and assisting the engineering maintenance and operations program at this medical center. This includes providing professional consultative advice to management on the engineering problems and responsibilities involved in the maintenance and improvement of buildings, grounds, utilities and equipment.
***May be eligible for a recruitment bonus***
- Will provide engineering expertise. Will serve as main resource of engineering theories and applications for other staff.
- Responsible for the inspection of projects during construction, preparing necessary reports, checking blueprints and specifications, and for taking corrective action as indicated.
- Provides professional engineering services (including design calculations) related to the layout, design, development, and completion of construction projects ranging from $50,000 to $1,000,000 and nonrecurring maintenance projects.
- Prepares cost estimates, drawings and specifications, and justification and description for proposed medical center projects and annual major, minor, minor miscellaneous, and NRM project sub missions to VACO.
- Serves as project manager and resident engineer for medical center construction and NRM projects.
- During the construction phase, the incumbent checks the work progress and insures that plans and specifications are being followed.
- Reviews and approves/disapproves material and equipment submittals.
- Prepares necessary documents for progress reports, partial payments, change orders.etc.
- Acts as liaison with architects/engineers, supervising the design process which includes coordinating work between hospital personnel and design firms.
- Ensures that all standards and regulations are followed in the designs as well as assuring the competency of the design.
- Prepares contract drawings, sketches and as-built drawings in AutoCAD. Uses AutoCAD on a daily basis in assisting tradesmen in locating as-built utilities and coordinating maintenance and repair work. Revises contract documents on AutoCAD during construction and coordinates changes with the AIE to ensure accurate electronic information using word processing, spread sheets, VA bulletin boards, and project scheduling software.
- Operates the medical center's Building Automation System on a daily basis which includes changing set points, operating various equipment, data trending, load shedding, poser monitoring and programming.
- Provides engineering program support by preparing reports, studies, correspondence, calculations, policies and procedures with no previous data or direction. Delegated areas of responsibility are to be researched by the incumbent to define the situation, the problem, and determine the proper solution with little or no guidance from the chief engineer. Judgement shall be used to modify or adopt standard guidelines and engineering practices to solve new problems and situations.
Monday - Friday, 7:30am-4pm
Position Description Title/PD#:
General Engineer/ 30329A
Work will invove mostly office work (50%) and some physical exertion such as walking, bending, stooping, climbing in utility rooms, crawlspaces, attics, boiler and chiller plant (50%). Such work will require an average amount of agility and dexterity.
Job family (Series)
0801 General Engineering
Conditions of Employment
You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job
Subject to a background/suitability investigation
May serve a probationary period
Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
A complete application package; Resume, Transcripts, etc.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
GS-11 grade level:
One year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-9 grade level in the federal service); experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSA's) and other characteristics to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled, in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Specialized experience includes: applying knowledge of mathematics, thermodynamics, heat transfer, machine design, electricity, electronics, computers, design, chemistry, physics, mechanics, industrial management, metallurgy, etc, to difficult and complex work assignments.
Engineering. To be acceptable, the program must: (1) lead to a bachelor's degree in a school of engineering with at least one program accredited by ABET; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
B. Combination of education and experience - college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
1. Professional registration or licensure - Current registration as an Engineer Intern (EI), Engineer in Training (EIT)1, or licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE) by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico. Absent other means of qualifying under this standard, those applicants who achieved such registration by means other than written test (e.g., State grandfather or eminence provisions) are eligible only for positions that are within or closely related to the specialty field of their registration. For example, an applicant who attains registration through a State Board's eminence provision as a manufacturing engineer typically would be rated eligible only for manufacturing engineering positions.
2. Written Test - Evidence of having successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE)2 examination or any other written test required for professional
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Experience in the design and/or construction of Mechanical/HVAC systems and equipment is preferred. All qualified applicants regardless of Mechanical/HVAC experience will be considered and are encouraged to apply.
Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/.
If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced VA competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be well-qualified, applicants must possess experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors if applicable, and must be proficient in most of the requirements of the job. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website which can be found at https://www.opm.gov/.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave:
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Applicants will be referred in alphabetical order.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
DD-214/ Statement of Service
Disability Letter (Schedule A)
Disability Letter (VA)
SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
Please review the above list(s) to ensure you have included all necessary documents required for your application.Not every applicant will require the same documents, therefore it is the applicants responsibility to ensure that their application package includes all necessary documents to determine qualifications and eligibility for appointment, such as a copy of your SF-50, transcript, ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees).You will not be contacted for additional information. Applicants will be deemed ineligible if supporting documentation is not submitted.
Since the Direct-Hire Recruitment Authority is being used, traditional Veterans' Preference rules do not apply. Qualified veterans will, however, be given full consideration for this position.
Applications are accepted online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
ALL US CITIZENS. DIRECT HIRE AUTHORITY:
This position is being filled using Direct-Hire Authority (5 CFR 337.201) for this occupation.