Electro Optic Engineer
Invent the future with us! At Leidos, we pride ourselves on tackling world’s toughest technical problems through innovation. Explore joining our team today as our next Electro-Optic Engineer. Join a group of scientists, engineers and technicians who support work at a cutting-edge government research laboratory located on Kirtland AFB, NM. This laboratory conducts theoretical and experimental research in Ultra Short Puled Laser (USPL) and related technologies. We are seeking a qualified staff member with the ability to use ingenuity and creativity to develop and implement technical solutions. The Electro-Optic Engineer will provide electrical and optical engineering support to laser based work critical to Air Force Research Laboratories programs. Work will be reviewed and measured based on meeting objectives and schedules.
Challenging stuff you will get to do:
Skills you need to be successful in this role:
- Design, procure parts for, build, align, calibrate and operate custom test setups and diagnostics that support short and ultra-short pulsed laser experiments.
- Provide weekly and monthly status of experimental activities in clear and concise reports.
- Routinely work with staff to conduct successful USPL and related experiments.
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
- BS degree in engineering or physics and 2+ years of prior relevant experience or MS with less than 2 years of prior relevant experience
- Obtain and maintain a minimum of a DoD Secret security clearance
- Possess experience working in a research and development laboratory environment
- Possess a successful safety record working with high power (several watts up to multi-TW) laser systems
- Possess experience with modeling, designing, building and testing optical and laser systems and components
- Working knowledge of imaging systems, optical detectors, scintillator screens, and interferometers
- Working knowledge of vacuum, gas and fluid systems
- Experience with LabVIEW and related instrumentation and control software
- Analyze data and write accurate, concise and readable test reports
- Engage in technical research and development in a fast-paced environment
- Understand and abide by government safety rules and regulations
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills
- Have the ability to be productive working alone and with a team
- Expertise with USPL systems
- Working knowledge with laser wakefield acceleration systems
- Ability to quickly setup data acquisition of multiple diagnostics with software such as LabVIEW
- Possess a DoD Secret security clearance
External Referral Eligible
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Leidos Innovations Center (LInC)
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to email@example.com.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.