Headquartered in Ronkonkoma, NY (Long Island), Island Architectural Woodwork, Inc. manufactures and installs a complete range of very high-end custom commercial millwork for building interiors. A second company designs, builds, and installs demountable wall systems for interior partitions for office spaces.
All manufacturing is done in four plants located in Ronkonkoma, NY, totally approximately 100,000 square feet. The company maintains sales offices in Manhattan, Boston, and Philadelphia. Projects are across the entire country.
Island is currently seeking a qualified candidate for a Productivity Engineer who will have responsibility for productivity in all four plants. Manufacturing equipment incorporates the most current technology of CNC based controls and automation.
Primary Purpose of Position
Perform Engineering duties to support all areas in the manufacturing of wood-based and aluminum products. Help identify and manage lean projects to improve productivity and throughput in the manufacturing facilities. Analyze, recommend, and provide cost justification for new equipment and lean manufacturing initiatives. Work directly with Operations to help establish, monitor, and improve efficiency metrics.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Responsible for leading the direction of production processes, workflow, and plant efficiency.
- Analyze equipment, processes, and workflow, and develop methods to improve quality and reduce cost. Lead and/or be part of teams (CITs) to implement these changes and improvements.
- Assist in the preparation of cost justification documentation for new capital equipment initiatives.
- Assist in the implementation of new cells and technologies, working closely with the senior manufacturing engineer, operations, maintenance, and outside vendors.
- Lead and support lean manufacturing/continuous improvement activities.
- Apply statistical methods and time studies to set production rates and standards.
- Work closely with new and existing machinery and technology vendors to ensure the successful implementation of their products into our manufacturing process.
- Assist and teach production staff as a process expert by utilizing troubleshooting, diagnosis, debugging, and other technical skills to keep production processes running at peak efficiency.
- Work with all team members in a positive and effective manner.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Industrial, or Manufacturing Engineering or related field
- 3-5 years relevant work experience
- Experience in the design and implementation of manufacturing work cells
- Strong background in Project Management
- Knowledge of CNC programmable equipment. A background in wood manufacturing processes would be a plus.
- Strong PC skills using MS Office Suite, and AutoCAD. Knowledge of ALFHACAM, WoodWOP, or Ardis would be a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly motivated with a strong desire to succeed
- Ability to work independently as well as in project teams.
Island may temporarily assign any team member with duties outside of their normal responsibilities. Such assignments may be warranted due to a variety of specific requirements, conditions and/or the capabilities of available personnel. Management will determine the nature and duration of those assignments.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $23.00 - $40.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- 10 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Surfaces are cleaned, hand sanitizers available
Work Location: One location