At Discovery Genomics, a Connected Care company, the future of healthcare technology is being developed and utilized by an exceptionally talented team. The data asset being cultivated at Discovery Genomics is truly world-class and will transform the industry landscape. The Bioinformatics Engineer will work at the Connected Care level to principally support Discovery Genomics and its next-generation laboratory. The focus spans core data operations, infrastructure, development, testing, and analytics.
Role and Responsibilities
The role’s core function is to collaborate with laboratory scientists, engineers, and senior management to design, develop and maintain bioinformatics applications and clinical information databases:
· Provide bioinformatics support to Discovery Genomics and related groups by owning design, build, and test responsibility for the bioinformatics pipeline.
· Perform core data analysis/interpretation and drive QA/QC platform for NGS data
· Provide trouble shooting and improvement for bioinformatics pipeline and related applications
· Develop new system integration methods for third-party repositories, clinical databases, and AI/Machine Learning platforms
· Enhance the technical robustness of existing methods and aid in research or product platform development
· Work independently and prepare timetables, deliverables, and bioinformatics project schedules
· Present scientific and technical data to colleagues in a clear and cohesive manner.
· Monitor and evaluate analytical aspects of new and emerging technologies.
Must be familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures
A wide degree of creativity, critical thinking, and latitude is expected.
Strong written and verbal communication ability
Strategic mindset with a self-motivated, results-driven work style
Effective decision-making and problem-solving capability
Collaborative attitude, professional conduct, and pro-innovation approach
Education & experience Requirements
· Bachelor’s Degree in Bioinformatics, Engineering, or a related discipline
· 2+ years’ experience database design/development and data analysis
· Experience with bioinformatics architecture maintenance/troubleshooting
· Experience using HPC and storage systems in cloud-based or on-premise computing environments
· Familiarity with sequencing data and bioinformatics Next Generation Sequencing pipelines
· Experience with database design and administration
· Familiar with molecular biology, biological pathways, and genomics
· Familiar with software versioning and industrial software development cycles
· Proficiency with relational databases such as MySQL, PostgreSQL or Microsoft SQL Server
· Proficiency in the use of bioinformatics software, packages, and databases
· Proficiency with Perl, Python, R, bash, C/C++, Java, or SQL in Linux/Unix environment
· Ability to read and write a variety of structured/semi-structured formats (i.e. XML, JSON, CSV, TSV)
· Working knowledge of code repository best practices and distributed version control
Master’s Degree or PhD in a related field
Product Management Experience/Certification
Experience with startups, accelerators, incubators, or venture capital
Understand the consumption and production of web services (example: REST, SOAP)
Experience integrating bioinformatics pipelines within healthcare systems/EMR platforms
Background in AI/Machine Learning is a plus
- All information (written, verbal, electronic, etc.) that an employee encounters while working at CCRI is considered confidential. Exposed to and required to deal with highly confidential and sensitive material and must adhere to corporate compliance policy, department guidelines/policies and all applicable laws and regulations at all times.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- CCRI is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Job Type: Full-time
- database design/development and data analysis: 2 years (Required)