Lead the Starfire Engineering, Inc. (SEI) team to engineer, supply, and support railroad rolling stock, components, and assemblies. Be part of a workplace environment that is collegial and team oriented, open and honest, and effective at completing work on-time and on-budget.
Position: VP Engineering & Business Development
SEI is seeking a Vice President of Engineering and Business Development. The ideal candidate will have experience in rail car engineering, project management, and small business development. We are looking for a dynamic individual to foster relationships with new and existing clients and provide project support as needed.Responsibilities Include, but are not limited to:
- Develop detailed engineering requirements for projects, which will include some or all of the following:
- Drawings and models
- Customer specific requirements and approvals
- AAR requirements and approvals
- Supplier preferences for materials and manufacturability
- Potential improvements
- Provide technical and operational leadership, guidance, and support for projects.
- Plan project activities and how they can best be completed, using both internal and external personnel and resources.
- Develop necessary budgets needed to complete activities
- Manage and oversee projects to completion with periodic status and exception reporting
- Identify, develop, and maintain new client relationships and business opportunities aligned with SEI knowledge and capabilities
- Maintain existing client relationships and projects through regular meetings with SEI personnel and customers
- Prepare bids and proposals
- Represent SEI at rail industry events, conferences, and exhibitions
- Attend rail industry committee meetings to stay current with industry developments
- Oversee general business operations
Skills & Abilities:
- Analytical thinking with well-developed communication and marketing skills
- Ability to manage complex projects and multi-task
- Involvement in key industry committees and activities that develop standards for and related to railroad rolling stock and components.
- Ability to look at things from a different perspective and explore potential improvements as part of developing the engineering requirements.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Civil, or similar Engineering/Transportation field.
- At least 3 years of management responsibility.
- Proven skills in project and program management.
- Strong knowledge of communication and marketing activities.
- Professional Engineering license with ability to be licensed in Kansas.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in railway industry preferably in freight railroad rolling stock for AAR interchange requirements.
- Familiarity with principles of business operations
The ideal candidate will be willing to relocate to our primary office location in Lawrence, KS, but telecommuting may be acceptable dependent on circumstances.
Occasional travel will be required
Please include a cover letter when submitting your resume.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration will be contacted. Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. Salary commensurate with experience. Pre-employment background check is required.
Starfire Engineering, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $100,000.00 to $125,000.00 /year
- Sales: 3 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule