Position Electrical Designer - Commercial
Organization KFI Engineers (KFI)
Location St. Paul, MN
Reporting Relationship Senior Project Manager, Commercial
KFI is a recognized industry leader in process and facility infrastructure design and performance. We serve clients in the United States, Canada and Central America and have capabilities not commonly found in traditional engineering firms, including our commissioning work and our ability to drive projects of all sizes.
KFI was established in 1996 to make a difference in the way infrastructure and processing projects are delivered. We employ a highly trained staff of engineers, technicians, and managers who execute projects with the same care and creativity we would expect if we were the client. We are located in Minnesota,
Wisconsin, Iowa, and North Dakota with a team of 100 professionals.
The Electrical Designer - Commercial plays a key role in the successful execution of projects, focusing primarily on the production of AutoCAD drawings and Revit modeling. Reporting to a Senior Project
Manager, the Electrical Designer is responsible for producing quality construction documents and coordinating design work with other engineering disciplines. The successful candidate will be expected to work within a team environment and collaborate with other project team members.
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Lighting layout and design (interior, exterior, landscape, specialty, egress/exit and lighting controls)
- Utilize spreadsheets for electrical calculations
- Gather electrical data from clients, architects and other disciplines
- Coordinate work and construction documents with other external stakeholders (civil and structural engineers, architects, food service consultants, etc.)
- Estimate/calculate electrical loads
- Size wiring and equipment accessories
- Perform voltage drop calculations
- Layout electrical equipment (panel boards, transformers, receptacles)
- Write construction observations, reports, etc.
- Edit schedules (panel boards, motors, lighting fixtures, lighting controls)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Three (3) years drafting/design experience, preferably in Revit, in a consulting and/or construction capacity.
- Experience working in Autodesk Revit for electrical design and coordinating with other disciplines in
- Basic understanding of Architectural, Electrical, Civil, and Structural Engineering construction practices and drawings.
- Working knowledge of Codes (e.g., NEC, IBC, IFC, Energy Code, Life Safety Code, etc.).
- Application of Electrical Engineering Principles (e.g., Ohms’ law, selective coordination, grounding, harmonics, etc.).
- Experience in the design of Low Voltage Systems (security, nurse call, telephone/data, paging,
CCTV, MATV, other A/V) is preferred but not required.
- Finally, knowledge of quality control procedures for document control purposes would be valuable.
KEY PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS
Understanding the Business
- Knows the business and the mission-critical technical and functional skills needed to do the job; understands the “KFI way” – our Mission, Vision and processes. Learns new methods and technologies easily.
- Is well organized, resourceful, and planful; effective and efficient at marshaling multiple resources to get things done; lays out tasks in sufficient detail to mark the trail; is able to get things done with less and in less time; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track; foresees and plans around obstacles.
Focusing on Action and Outcomes
- Attacks everything with drive and energy with an eye on the bottom line; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish everything he/she starts.
Focusing on the Customer
- Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations, and needs. Creates systems and processes that make it easy for customers to do business with the company. Ensures that customer issues are resolved.
- Writes and presents effectively; adjusts to fit the audience and the message; strongly gets a message across.
- Ensures that proposals or arguments are supported by strong logic and a compelling business case, addressing all relevant factors. Identifies the agendas, concerns, and motivations of others.
- Treats people with respect; relates well to people regardless of their organization level, personality, or background. Encourages others to express their views, even those contrary to current thinking.
AAS Degree/Diploma in Design/Drafting is required.
KFI ENGINEERS CONTACT
670 County Road B West
Roseville, MN 55113
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance