- Responsible for researching, developing, and applying necessary chemical processes to create Hair Care products. Process includes methods for producing and testing them, and using industry-specific software tools to judge the quality of methods and evaluating results of chemical development. Function can also include managing laboratory, conducting audits, ensuring compliance to require specifications, and handling and removing occasionally-hazardous waste products.
- Research and develop hair care products from concept or base formulations to production.
- Review ingredients in formulas for raw material substitution and recommend appropriate match.
Review procedure in formulas and make adjustments as needed so that standard procedures and equipment can be adapted.
- Propose, design, and oversee solutions for chemical development processes.
- Oversee production environment, and track metrics.
- Optimize day-to-day processes while considering environmental and supply variables.
- Maintain engineering documentation, with emphasis on compliance with engineering codes and standards.
- Understand Regulatory requirements for formulations and perform CTFA search.
- Utilize computerized database that contain searchable list of chemicals and chemical reactions to be used to brainstorm new products.
Understand each ingredient function, and its use.
Perform stability testing and trouble shoot unstable formulas.
Trouble shoot scale-up issues.
Supervise pilot and first three production batches.
Provide troubleshooting expertise to correct in-process production issues.
Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or relevant Science
With minimum 2+ years of experience in personal care product formulation and development or an equivalent Masters in Cosmetic Formulation or 2+ years in a relevant field.
Knowledge of formulation/raw materials principle in hair care
Ability to work occasional overtime and weekend hours as needed is required
Can manage multiple projects
Work experience consisting of new formulations, reverse engineering and minor reformulation.