The building engineer has the responsibility and accountability to ensure the highest standard in property operations ensuring a superior customer experience and fiscal management. The building maintenance engineer must have the ability to remain calm and respond quickly to resolve problems which may arise in day-to-day operations, be resourceful and self-directed, complete multifaceted tasks under demanding conditions to accomplish desired results, be detail oriented, maintain a high level of confidentiality, and project a professional image and a positive attitude.
This position may report to the property manager, regional property manager or vice president of property management.
The following duties are typical for this position. Employee may be required to perform additional duties not set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Perform, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, minor locksmith and painting.
- Perform routine HVAC preventative maintenance work. Monitor building automation system. Evaluate HVAC system issues and make recommendations to resolve.
- Work with other team members and outside vendors to maintain non-HVAC building systems.
- Inspect roof condition monthly.
- Perform weekly, monthly and quarterly inspection of generators, life safety and other building systems. Complete required reports for authorities having jurisdiction after each inspection.
- Scheduling of all Preventative Maintenance and contract work on HVAC Equipment, Elevators, Fire Alarm, Fire Pump, and Fire Sprinkler Systems, Back Flows, Chillers, Emergency Generator, etc.
- Oversee vendor/contractor maintenance work ensuring quality of work and timely completion of same.
- Participate in the preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets.
Adhere to the annual operating budget.
- Prepare cost estimates for non-budgeted maintenance expenditures.
- Conduct safety inspections of all emergency equipment and lighting.
Monitor Critical Equipment such as the Emergency Generator, Chillers, and Fire Alarm and responding accordingly to provide the required support.
- Coordinate and follow-up on all building work orders to ensure timely completion.
Travel from site to site to inspect assets and provide report of asset condition and issues to management.
- Perform emergency response and repairs off hours, on nights and weekends as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by managers and supervisors.
- Methods and principals of general building maintenance.
- Principals of carpentry, plumbing and electrical work.
- Principals of heating, ventilation and cooling systems.
- Principals of contract administration.
- General knowledge of building systems, i.e. life safety.
- Knowledge of building automation system.
- Basic mathematical principals.
- Microsoft office programs; Microsoft word, excel, outlook a plus.
- Operate a variety of hand tools and power equipment.
- Read and interpret architectural and construction plans.
- Work in a team environment or work independently.
- Multi task and work on different projects, all while keeping a safe working environment and producing a great work product.
- Evaluate the work of vendors and contractors.
- Communicate clearly and concisely in writing and verbally.
- High School Diploma.
- Trade school or building maintenance apprenticeship program.
- Bachelor degree or Journeyman level preferred.
- Minimum five years’ of increasingly responsible maintenance experience.
- Medical/Healthcare experience a plus
Job Type: Full-time
- Building Maintenance: 5 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends required