Summary: The primary purpose of this position is to develop new and reverse engineered products that meet customer expectations and company objectives. This position reports to the Design Engineering Manager/VP of Engineering and will be located in Cleveland, Ohio.
- Reverse engineer and develop diesel fuel systems and engine components (e.g. pistons, liners, etc.) to meet OEM quality and performance.
- Evaluate and validate vendor drawings for form, fit and function of the product.
- Ensure design and tolerance for manufacturability, assembly, and function.
- Develop product designs using Autodesk Inventor and other appropriate engineering tools.
- Perform engineering change function according to the company’s established design control procedures.
- Verify the drawing accuracy and validity for designs developed by peers.
- Substantiate designs virtually and physically (analysis and/or testing).
- Lead cross functional design reviews to ensure robust designs.
- Work closely with manufacturing engineering, quality, production and suppliers.
- Research, develop, and implement key design improvements to achieve project and company goals.
- Hands on participation to meet product requirements and continuous improvement activities.
- Provide technical support to other departments (e.g. Manufacturing Engineering, Production, Quality, and Purchasing).
- Lead, track, update, and communicate progress of assigned engineering projects.
- Stay abreast of advanced engineering technologies.
- Performs other work as assigned by management.
Required Physical and Environmental Demands:
- Work and move among departments. Excellent hand/eye coordination. Lift up to 40 pounds.
- Candidates whose disabilities make them unable to meet these requirements will still be considered fully qualified if they can perform the essential functions of the job with reasonable accommodation.
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent and at least 3 years of related work experience.
- High level of competency and proficiency using software tools/systems.
- A good understanding of manufacturing processes (e.g. machining, assembly, test).
- Proficiency with 3D CAD software (Autodesk Inventor preferred) to create solid models and drawings for parts and assemblies. Dynamic simulation skills preferred.
- Solid understanding of GD&T and application to control part quality.
- Ability to perform assembly tolerance stack-up analysis.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools. Experience with MS Project preferred.
- Must possess knowledge of FEA, metrology, tribology, strength of materials, metals and heat treat.
- Strong data analysis skills using statistical tools (e.g. Minitab, Excel), DOE, SPC, etc.
- Familiarity with FMEA process a plus.
- Metallurgical expertise a plus.
- Apply Continuous Improvement methods utilizing Excel and Minitab.
- Knowledge of diesel fuel injectors or engine parts a plus.
- Pay attention to details. Good oral and written communication skills.
- High energy level, ability to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events and reacts well under pressure.
- Displays willingness to make decisions timely, exhibits sound and accurate judgment and communicates changes effectively.
- Ability and willingness to lead and motivate others in a positive manner, including coaching others to follow work instructions, achieve standards and reach team goals.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact effectively with diverse personalities and individuals in a cross functional team environment as well as others outside the organization.
- Team building ability, self motivation, able to work independently.
- Includes appropriate people in decision making process and supports/explains reasoning for decisions, resourceful and well organized.
- Ability and willingness to maintain confidentiality as appropriate.
- Positive attitude and professional image.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 3 years (Required)