Colonial Group, Inc. is a family owned, well-established, award-winning distributor of fuel, nationally branded lubricants and diesel exhaust fluid. Colonial has locations in Georgia, Florida, South Carolina and North Carolina. Our newest venture, Savannah Yacht Center, is a deep-water maintenance, repair and re-fit facility on the Savannah River in coastal Georgia, dedicated to servicing the mega-yacht industry.
The Naval Architect/ Mechanical Engineer/ Marine Engineer for the Savannah Yacht Center is responsible for planning, executing and completing the safe movements/transfers, docking and un-docking of all vessels while ensuring the clear communication of all vessel movement events with the Haul and Launch team.
- Prepare and implement thorough and safe docking and berthing procedures for graving dock and ship-lift operations.
- Prepare blocking plans based on the vessel requirements and the Yard’s guidelines.
- Plans and coordinates the efficient and safe movements of vessels.
- Coordinates yard preparation for weather events and assures adherence to the Facility Security Plan.
- Analyze tide, current and weather condition to insure safe docking and berthing.
- Prepare vessel specific docking procedures and conduct dock/undock meetings with the vessel and the shipyard team.
- Oversee, verify, and approve blocking setup.
- Organize and supervise haul and launch team, blocking team and maintenance staff to assure safe and efficient docking operations.
- Develop manning plan for all docking/undocking evolutions.
- Prepare and/or develop drawings as required for estimating and customer work orders.
- Prepare and/or develop scopes of work for customer estimates and work orders.
- Maintain an up to date database of vessels “as built” blocking plans, calculations and dock survey forms to include specifics on cooling, electrical and fire main connections.
- Co-ordinate docking/undocking with relevant river traffic.
- Coordinate plans and requirements for tugboat assists as required.
- Verify with docking plan individual requirements with divers as necessary.
- Oversee transfer of vessels on the rail system.
- Perform other tasks and work as directed by the General Manager.
- Bachelor's Degree in Naval Architecture, Mechanical, or Marine Engineering required.
- Five years experience in a shipyard or marine environment required.
- Experience with the construction, repair, operation or refit of yachts and/or commercial vessels.
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Advanced computer and AutoCAD operator experience.
- Thorough knowledge and judgement about the uses of protective equipment and avoidance of exposure to unhealthy and hazardous shipyard and vessel conditions is essential.
- Capable of producing internal operating manuals and procedures documents.
- Working knowledge of Class and Flag State rules.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, and will lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Thorough knowledge about the uses of protective equipment and avoidance of exposure to unhealthy and hazardous shipyard and vessel conditions is essential and a condition of employment.
Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the U.S.
Colonial Group, Inc. is an EEO/AA employer and committed to creating an environment that values and supports diversity and inclusiveness across our organizations. We encourage applications from qualified individuals who will help us achieve this mission. Colonial Group, Inc. prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or marital status.
This position description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the position and is not an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. No part of this position description shall be construed as an employment contract. Employment with Colonial Group, Inc. is at will and constrained by the laws of the state wherein the employee performs the service for the company.