WHO WE ARE
Supported by more than 3,000 employees in nearly 100 locations across the United States, we provide a full continuum of engineering and consulting services, including design, planning, architectural, environmental, construction and program management. Our clients include U.S. federal, state and municipal governments, foreign allied governments, and a wide range of commercial clients. Michael Baker is committed to delivering a standard of excellence that fosters a culture of innovation, collaboration and technological advancement to help solve our clients' complex challenges.
Consistently ranked by Engineering News-Record as a Top 20 transportation firm, Michael Baker International offers clients an integrated team of professionals versed in all aspects of transportation planning, design, permitting, and construction management and inspection. In addition, Michael Baker International is a recognized leader in the practical aspects of operating and maintaining a safe and efficient transportation infrastructure
Michael Baker International is seeking an experienced Geotechnical Engineer to join our staff in our growing Charleston, WV office. Under limited supervision, plans, designs and analyzes data on civil engineering projects such as highways, roads, airports, railroads, bridges, drainage systems and utilities. A Geotechnical Engineer at Michael Baker in Charleston, WV will have the opportunity to work on a variety of civil/structural projects as well as geotechnical engineering projects including Water, Transportation (aviation, highway, bridge, roadway and rail), Commercial Development, Industrial and Municipal Solid Waste, Oil and Gas Pipeline as well as Coal Combustion Residuals (CCRs) disposal facility closure and remediation.
- The selected individual will prepare and check structural analysis and design computations for conventionally reinforced concrete, pre-stressed concrete, and structural steel bridge structures.
- Prepare and check geometric calculations related to horizontal and vertical alignment of bridge structures.
- Check contract drawing and the submittal of contractor shop drawings for the bridge structures mentioned above. The ability to be able to assemble a set of bridge plans a plus.
- Prepare complex studies, construction level drawings and specifications, drawings, maps, reports and supporting documentation such as those needed for highways, structures, landfills, dams and other large-scale facilities.
- Prepare quantities and construction cost estimates.
- Prepare detailed and complex reports detailing subsurface investigations, foundation recommendations, construction monitoring and quality assurance/control phases of work and other field / laboratory studies.
- Occasionally conduct site visits, perform construction monitoring and attend client meetings.
- Define scope of work and man-hour requirements and responsible for ensuring that task and project schedules and budgets are met.
- Responsible for proposal production and implementing marketing/business development initiatives.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering with an emphasis in Structural Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, or related field
- 2-4+ years of relevant experience. A Master’s degree can be substituted for 1-2 years of experience
- E.I.T. (FE Exam passed) P.E. preferred.
- Knowledge of applicable designs standards (AASHTO, ACI, AISC, and WVDOT-DOH)
- Candidate must have excellent writing and communication skills
- Knowledge of commonly used software such as Microsoft Office products, more specifically Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of computer aided design software (CAD), including AutoCAD and MicroStationV8i, with a greater emphasis on MicroStation V8i
MICHAEL BAKER INTERNATIONAL EEO STATEMENT
Michael Baker International is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Michael Baker International provides equal employment opportunity for all persons, in all facets of employment. Michael Baker International maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for any open position for which they feel they are qualified and all will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.
EEO is the Law. Applicants to and employees of Michael Baker International are protected under Federal law from discrimination.