Senior Electrical Engineer
This is a senior design and production role assisting engineering, project management, and other design staff to ensure that production is completed on time and within budget. This role operates under limited supervision and can have significant independent discretion within the established scope of the project. This role also has significant responsibility for project quality control. While incumbents do not supervise employees, they will frequently serve as Project Leads and mentors for junior team members.
· Prepare layouts; provide input for design proposals and drawings; and analyze and resolve design and production issues.
· Incorporate design concepts from schematic design into design development and final construction drawings.
· Apply accepted design/drafting methods and concepts, engineering and design principles, terminology, and manufacturing materials.
· Provide recommendations for design adaptations and modifications.
· With approval from the Project Manager, incorporate recommendations; make decisions regarding design suitability using knowledge of specified product materials and production process.
· Stay current on applicable codes; identify alternatives allowed by code exceptions to devise engineering solutions to design challenges.
· Perform mathematical calculations using engineering formulas and analysis tools.
· Lead or participate in project coordination meetings with clients and internal project teams; initiate meetings when appropriate; plan, schedule and/or coordinate detailed phases of assigned project work; deliver presentation of project status, when appropriate.
· Coordinate as necessary across a variety of building design disciplines, including mechanical, electrical, architectural, civil, and structural.
· Ensure that work is completed on time and within budget.
· Identify and communicate changes to design and/or scope that may impact deadlines, workloads, or assignments of the project and project budget; ensure that Project Manager/Project Lead is informed immediately of those changes.
· When assigned as Project Lead, provide timely communication and correspondence with the client and project team.
· Lead or contribute to the financial and logistical management of multiple projects through all design and construction phases.
· Provide technical support to other staff in areas of expertise as a trainer and mentor.
· Where project requirements dictate, determine life cycle costing, construction cost estimating, cost indexing, and project scheduling; develop fee proposals and requests for additional services when appropriate.
· Proactively pursue continued education, training, certifications, and opportunities to network within our industry; stay updated on code changes, industry trends, and technical tools that can be utilized in work.
· When required, review, stamp, and sign design documents.
· Represent the firm in a professional manner, enhancing client confidence and respect, and furthering relationships for the goal of repeat work or referrals; clients should think of you highly enough to request you, specifically, for future work.
· When opportunities arise, promote the opportunity for new work.
· Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline, equivalent technical school training, or equivalent work experience.
· Relevant professional or technical background with generally 15 or more years of design experience in a professional engineering environment.
· At least limited proficiency with AutoCAD, Revit MEP, and other specialty-critical software preferred.
· Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
· Strong verbal and written organizational and communication skills.
· Ability to work on multiple projects and/or in multiple project phases simultaneously.
The employee will likely be required to sit at a desk and look at computer monitors for much of the day. Occasional lifting of up to 25 pounds may also be required. During site visits, it is possible that the employee would be engaged in the following activities:
· Long periods of standing or walking.
· Intensive stair climbing.
· Climbing vertical or freestanding ladders, holding on to the top rung with one hand and lifting a ceiling tile or opening the roof hatch with the other, while carrying flashlights, tools, drawings, a camera, and/or other items.
· Crawling over and under ductwork and piping in very cramped equipment utility rooms and mechanical mezzanines.
· Using tools to open equipment access doors.
· Walking on roofs, catwalks, and over parapets.
· Looking at details at very close or far distances.
· Listening and communicating in a loud environment.
· Using computers or other electronic devices away from a desk.
Job duties listed are not intended to encompass full scope of position. The employee will be expected to perform other job-related duties as required. The Company reserves the right to add to or revise an employee’s position scope at any time.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- Engineering Design: 10 years (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place