The job opening listed below is posted in conjunction with our partner firm, Saltwater, Inc. Employment will be with Saltwater, Inc., not Ocean Associates, Inc.
Stock Assessment Software Development-R3
Saltwater Inc. is a small, innovative company that collects data on fisheries and oceans and is bidding on a federal contract. We are looking for a person to fill a full-time, Stock Assessment Software Development position, starting in spring 2020. This position will be based in Woods Hole, MA or Narragansett, RI.
Your job will be working for Saltwater as a contractor working at one of the NOAA Laboratories of the Northeast Fisheries Science Center. Your responsibilities will include:
- Draft software development plans that outline approaches to be utilize to produce stock assessment software.
- Discuss software plans with stock assessment biologists and modify development plans based on input provided.
- Develop code, input/output interfaces, GUIs and documentation associated with the stock assessment software needs.
- Update and/or work with software developers to ensure stock assessment software tools meet user needs.
- Provide first-line user support for stock assessment model software.
- Keep abreast of NOAA and IT policies to ensure compliance and appropriate provision of stock assessment modeling software.
Skills, Education and Experience Required
- Graduate degree in marine science, fisheries, quantitative ecology, computer programming or related field; or a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5 years of relevant programming experience.
- Familiarity and experience with NOAA Fisheries’ stock assessments including a basic understanding of analytical techniques and terminology.
- Knowledge and/or experience with statistical software, such as R, Splus, SAS, MATLAB.
- Experience and understanding of code versioning software, such as Git, SVN, mercurial, and others.
- Demonstrated experience in the development of graphical user interfaces for scientific purposes and familiarity with the design.
- Knowledge of web-based software and website management.
- Experience with developing and implementing standards in software and data management and documentation.
- Demonstrated proficiency for the following skill sets:
- Project management for complex and technical scientific programs
- Coordinating and leading diverse project teams to develop, improve, and achieve program goals
- Communication, both verbally and using written materials (including visual presentation), with a variety of audiences including technical, scientific, and non-scientific
- Working independently with strong time management skills
- Adaptability to quickly changing priorities
- Attention to detail
If you are interested in being considered for this position, you MUST APPLY THROUGH OAI’s WEBSITE ONLY. Go to OCEANASSOC.COM, click on Careers, then click on Job Openings, find the position you wish to apply for.
Only qualified applicants that meet minimum experience or background requirements stated above need apply. When applying for this position you will be asked to upload your resume at the end of this online application.
Applicants should submit a resume that includes the following:
- Cover letter that briefly describes how you meet the required and preferred qualifications listed.
- Work history for past 10 years or since last full-time education.
- Previous experience or training with similar requirements.
- Three professional references.
- Include your name in the document file name.
- Upload your resume in readable, not scanned, PDF or Word format (PDF is preferred).
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States, complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire, and successfully complete a federal government background check. Saltwater Inc. and Ocean Associates Inc. are Equal Opportunity Employers and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law.
Saltwater Inc. and Ocean Associates Inc. are government contractors and is required by law to invite applicants to self-identify their race, gender, national origin, disability status and veteran status. Saltwater Inc. and Ocean Associates Inc. are required to use the information it collects as part of its future affirmative action efforts in hiring. The information is collected anonymously by computer and is not connected to your application. You will see a place to check certain boxes in Saltwater Inc. and Ocean Associates Inc. online application. Even though the information is anonymous, self-identification is voluntary. You can always check the box that says you decline to self-identify.
Note: If you are not selected, your materials may be retained for present or future opportunities. We may use your resume in bidding on a project and if we are awarded the work we will contact you before seeking further applicants. If you do not wish us to retain or use your resume to seek work for you, please let us know in the "Notes" section on the second page of the online application.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant programming: 5 years (Required)
- NOAA Fisheries’ stock assessments: 2 years (Required)
- Git, SVN, mercurial, and others: 2 years (Required)